MSI laptop is very high heat normal when gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangin94

Commendable
Feb 8, 2016
Hello! I have a new laptop, MSI GP63 Leopard, GTX 1070, 16GB RAM, i7-8750H. I'm kinda worried about the CPU and GPU temperatures, and not sure if it's normal or not. Using the MSI Dragon Center app, or the Open Hardware Monitor, at idle CPU runs at 55-60C (for some reason none of these tools give me a GPU reading when idle). When playing PUBG, CPU goes to 90-94C and GPU runs at 88-92C. A few seconds after clicking exit, CPU goes back to 70-80 and slowly goes down to 55-60 again. Should I be worried, or are temperatures this high normal for a gaming laptop? Also, when running PUBG, touching my laptop does feel warm but nothing uncomfortable, so no heat problems on the exterior. Thank you

Solution
staying below 90c will put you at more or less the expected heat output when under a moderate to intense load when gaming for those model laptops from MSI. Being at around 80 - 85 is as high as I would personally let it go. The lower the better though for the lifespan of the CPU and GPU.

Lowering the settings clearly caused a drop in CPU temps because of the fact that it wasn't hitting the turbo boost as hard which was causing the voltage to not spike up as high which resulted in lower temps. However, if the GPU is still pegging at 88 -92 (92 being max temp before throttling happens) I would recommend you look into that and see what could be causing the high temps. Most likely bad paste application, or clogged fan system. Honestly, if...

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Those temps on the GPU are kind of normal. But the CPU is alarmingly hot at over 90c. I'd get that checked out. Idle temps don't look too good either.

To check idle temps for the GPU you can use MSI Afterburner.

rangin94

Commendable
Feb 8, 2016

I decided to do a few tests and is what I got. I noticed PUBG was at Ultra when it was running at CPU 90-94 and GPU 88-92, so I decided to lower it a bit. Played some PUBG at different settings for 15-20 minutes then played a Smite game for 30 minutes. Here's screenshots of what I got through Open Hardware Monitor and what I got as CPU temperature through MSI dragon center in parenthesis since it doesn't show in OHM.

PUBG Low-Med settings (CPU was at 80-85): https://imgur.com/MqCLaZv

PUBG Med-High settings (CPU was at 85-90: https://imgur.com/mpRuw2O

Smite Max settings (except shadows) (CPU was at 75-80): https://imgur.com/2PgSmcA

Are these still considered bad? Just as a note: I'm not sure why Smite's max values of processor load are that high, since when I alt-tabbed to check, they were always below 30% except core 3 which was at 40-50.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
staying below 90c will put you at more or less the expected heat output when under a moderate to intense load when gaming for those model laptops from MSI. Being at around 80 - 85 is as high as I would personally let it go. The lower the better though for the lifespan of the CPU and GPU.

Lowering the settings clearly caused a drop in CPU temps because of the fact that it wasn't hitting the turbo boost as hard which was causing the voltage to not spike up as high which resulted in lower temps. However, if the GPU is still pegging at 88 -92 (92 being max temp before throttling happens) I would recommend you look into that and see what could be causing the high temps. Most likely bad paste application, or clogged fan system. Honestly, if you are comfortable taking apart a laptop by watching detailed videos on how to do it then go ahead and repaste the CPU and the GPU with some higher quality paste and you will definitely see a drop in temps. If not comfortable with that then take it to a local computer guy with a good reputation and ask him if he is willing to do it for you for a small fee along with you supplying the paste. I would recommend Arctic Silver 5 on the cheaper side of things, but you can go up to higher quality pastes than that but for a more premium price point. Otherwise, keeping the temps below 90c and closer to 80 - 85c is alright. Not great but acceptable and you can just use it like that for the time being.

Solution
Jul 14, 2018
OMGGGG I have the same problem, except that I have the msi GP63 i7 8750, 1060. And my temperature issues are very similar to yours. I have, however, found some solutions that have kept my CPU temperature low.
So, the first thing you should do is place a book under your laptop and give it some airflow. Put the back of the laptop on top of a book (1 or 2 inch high) and let the front of the laptop touch your table, so it's slanted.
Next, go to the dragon centre and in a custom profile, choose basic for fans and set the fan speed to high. I know it'll be very loud but you have to make these compromises for better temperatures.
By doing these 2 simple things, My CPU temperature, from idle, went from 70 to 39 and while browsing, it went from 80 to 45 degrees and when using 3d applications (like 3ds max, Maya, CAD) or video editing softwares (E.g premiere or resolve), it went from 90 to between 40-60 degrees.
While gaming, the CPU and GPU temperatures were around 50 to 75-80 degrees, depending on the game I'm playing.
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOWNLOADING DXTORY. It's a Screen capture software BUT it can also set frame limits to games. So some games don't have a frame limit option, and with this app, you can set frame limits while gaming and not have to worry about the CPU blowing up.
Another thing you can do, with this App to really lower down the temperature (UP TO 15 degrees) is lowering the settings to high/medium. I would cap my fps to 80 when playing CS:GO and LoL or Six Siege with medium settings and the CPU would be at 65 degrees. While playing the AAA titles like AC series NFS, I would up the graphics and lower the frames to 65 and the temperature would never excede 80 degrees if the Graphics are high.
1 more thing I would recommend is downloading and running Hitman pro which removes malware etc and some viruses can increase CPU temps.
I know 80 degrees isn't the best temperature when playing game but it's much better than 90 and above.
I'm also worried that the thermal paste is really shitty or just dried up. MSI laptops are great but sevice sucks and they haven't answered my question for 2 weeks on the CPU temperature problems. I might just open the laptop and add good thermal paste though it won't be easy.
I'm on the same page with you bro, but I hope I helped.

rangin94

Commendable
Feb 8, 2016
Thank you for responding! I'm gonna try to elevate it like you said, and see if it helps. I also posted this question on reddit, and I got an answer there, were someone suggested to download Throttlestep to undervolt my CPU and disable turbo. After that, my CPU has never reached 70, even when playing demanding games like PUBG, and my GPU is at about 80. Disabling turbo did of course made my framerate lower, from 110-120 FPS to 75-90, which is good enough for me, and at least I'm playing at around 70C and not at 90-95. If you're interested, let me know and I can help you by teaching you how to do this, or you can watch a youtube video like I did.

Your temps are on the high side, but are relatively normal and within safe operating ranges. Applying better thermal compound could help, but it can also risk your warranty, and yes, elevating the laptop always helps as it draws air in from the bottom (and exhausts out the sides or rear, so also don't obstruct the vents).

Jul 14, 2018
Throttlestep is good but I don't really game toooooo hard and I'm always happy to play games with medium settings at 65-70 fps, getting 70 degrees. You also have a 1070 which is a faster card. The main purpose I bought this laptop was for content creation. I don't really wanna disturb my CPU :p. I'm getting an avg 60 degrees even while rendering which is picture perfect. I'm happyyyyyyyy :D. Just trying to get my hands on a good thermal paste but it's not openly available in location. I saw a vid on youtube saying that applying thermal paste won't void warrenty as long as no component is damaged at all, though I'll double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.