MSI P55-GD65 OC Genie + "Super Unlock" problem

17seconds

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I have been playing around with the OC Genie to automatically overclock my MSI P55-GD65 motherboard with a i7-875k cpu. With it, my cpu speed is set to 3.5 ghz.

There is an enhanced feature of the OC Genie called "Super Unlock" that you can enable in the latest bios to access the unlocked multipliers of the i7-875k. Whenever I try to enable it, I am unable to boot up and need to reset the CMOS. Has anyone had any luck with the Super Unlock feature of their MSI motherboard bios?

I am using the Corsair A70 cpu cooler, and my idle temp at stock speed is ~36c. I would say that I have good, but not great airflow in an old Antec Sonata case.

(BTW, I know that I should O.C. manually, and that the OC Genie will set the voltage too high, but for now, I am just trying to figure out whether the Super Unlock feature works.)

Thanks.

Solution
Well, exactly what RAM do you have? I see Corsair Dominator so I'm sure it's pretty good, but what speeds is it rated for?

I used to have an MSI P55GD65 too with my i5 750, and OC genie put it to, like, 166 base clock or something. The mobo ended up getting toast after only a few weeks haha, now I have an Asus P7P55D Pro and I hit 4ghz really easily, LLC on, 1.32Vcore and 1.24VTT I think. I now use a different OC to use turbo boost but maybe these voltages can be somewhat of a guideline for you.

I don't think you can totally take advantage of the unlocked multipliers and turbo boost, so if you go for a flat out OC IMO you should enable LLC - although I think on your mobo it's simply setting VDroop to minimum or something silly like...

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Seriously, don't bother with OC Genie. It's not all it's cracked up to be. You went and bought a fully unlocked CPU for OCing, and want to use an Auto OC feature... can I ask why? You could have saved a lot of cash and got the non K version...

OC Genie has a bunch of preset clocks and voltages and just picks one that might work. Since it's not working, either your set up has some peculiarities and needs more voltage or else maybe it's just a stupid broken feature. Probably, it's screwing your RAM speed and timings up, preventing the boot up.

Seriously tho, just go at it manually... it is time consuming but it's rewarding to get a solid stable OC, and you have the added advantage that you can just set, say, 160 base clock to get the RAM at 1600mhz (if that's what you have) and then up the multiplier as high as you want.

17seconds

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I hear you on that Wolfram. I'm definitely playing around with the manual OC as well. I'm just trying to do a little research.

I'm curious if anyone has had any success with the Super Unlock. It's something that MSI is marketing as a big deal for those with an unlocked processor on several of their new motherboards. They claim speeds of over 4 ghz. It hasn't worked for me, and I'm just wondering if anyone has used it successfully, and if so, what type of system they did it on. Frankly, I won't be surprised if no one responds that they used it successfully. I think it might just be a "stupid broken feature".

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Well, exactly what RAM do you have? I see Corsair Dominator so I'm sure it's pretty good, but what speeds is it rated for?

I used to have an MSI P55GD65 too with my i5 750, and OC genie put it to, like, 166 base clock or something. The mobo ended up getting toast after only a few weeks haha, now I have an Asus P7P55D Pro and I hit 4ghz really easily, LLC on, 1.32Vcore and 1.24VTT I think. I now use a different OC to use turbo boost but maybe these voltages can be somewhat of a guideline for you.

I don't think you can totally take advantage of the unlocked multipliers and turbo boost, so if you go for a flat out OC IMO you should enable LLC - although I think on your mobo it's simply setting VDroop to minimum or something silly like that. (LLC = load line calibration, and makes your Vcore rock steady, no drops under load).

Solution

17seconds

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
My Dominator RAM runs at 1600 mhz and c8 timings.

I just tried to OC manually by adjusting the memory multiplier to its highest (6), which put the RAM back at 1600 mhz. Then I simply upped the cpu multiplier to 24 for 3192 ghz on the cpu. I didn't change anything else. After reboot, the cpu showed at 2.94 (stock speed) with the RAM at 1600 mhz and c9 timings. I'm just trying to get a good understanding of the OC process before I push it, but this attempt was a failure. I was hoping I could just raise the cpu multiplier and that would do the trick. Once I get an OC to stick, I will still need to get the timings back to c8 on the RAM.

17seconds

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Okay, I got a stable OC at 3.5 ghz by upping the base clock, as mentioned, to 160 and leaving the cpu multiplier at 22. I had to put the RAM multiplier at 5 to get the speed to 1600 again. I changed the Vdroop to Low as well. I can just keep building off that for now.

Now that I think about it, I bet the Vdroop being set to high might have been the reason the whole Super Unlock thing didn't work.

elibinladot

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
hi, guys, I had my gaming computer build just 4 months ago. Intel core i6-760 2.8 ghz clock speed with mobo msi p55a gd65 with oc. when manually I push the oc it runs to 3.5 ghz the clock speed without any problem. and I've been running it for 4 months in an overclock mode until now and don't have any problem. only yesterday when one of my memory module was upgraded to 4 ghz. before I upgrade, all 4 memory slots were filled with 2ghz kingston memory modules, but when i upgrade one of the memory module to 4 ghz yesterday, that's where i encountered a problem of blue screen of death. but i was able to solved it by returning the 2ghz module. my observation/analysis is that if you have started to install 2ghz memory module you have fill in all the vacant slots with 2ghz, the same with 4ghz. it cannot be mixed: 2ghz + 4ghz.

17seconds

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Correct, your memory modules must match. They also have to be inserted in the proper slots, which are color coded to match. The last thing to make sure is that your memory is rated at 1.65 volts or below. Anything higher than that was designed for LGA775 processors, and is incompatible with the Core i5.

elibinladot

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

YES, T

elibinladot

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Yes, the memory volts is 1.5 ddr3 1333. Thanks for your response and I've learned a lot. Thank you Tom!

Another thing, tom, I'm planning to buy additional 4ghz ddr3 1333 kingston memory to make it two then I'll install these two 4ghz in memory slot 1 & 3 then in slot 2&4 are my old 2ghz ddr3 1333 lingston memory. Do you think, tom, will works? but if not I'll buy 2 additional 4ghz ddr3 1333 the same brand memory to make it 16 ghz, because my mobo is capable of 16 ghz.

17seconds

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
You either want 4 or 8 GB to make sure you maintain the dual channels. 6 GB will work, but it won't operate in dual channel. Everything must be symmetrical, the same amount and type of memory in all 4 DIMM slots. So 16 GB will work with 4 x 4 GB.