MSI, Sager/Clevo, Gigabyte, Origin, Alienware or Razer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowderek

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop for around $1,200.

I was hoping you guys can give me a briefing of each brand because as I do not have much knowledge myself (I have heard good things about Sager/Clevo and MSI though).

Feel feel to add in more brands if I missed some.

chowderek

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I forgot to add in ASUS, where does it rank between these other brands.

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013

They're alright... their gaming laptops are quite overpriced.

Clevo in a heartbeat

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np7370.html

Add the 750 Hybrid SSD / HD and Win 764 and ya at $1204 before the "Max Discount"
http://www.lpc-digital.com/notebook-review-members-military-and-student-discounts.html

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013

+1

chowderek

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Clevo/Sager does look rather ugly, MSI looks much better tho. However, since you guys are so high on Clevo/Sager, it must be well built. I suppose I can overlook the design.

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013

I agree. Clevo/Sager are the epitome of function over form, which tends to be the better choice in a computer. :)

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Here's what I would say about all the brands in question:

MSI - rebranded Sager
Sager - Excellent hardware, great customization
Gigabyte - Never used their laptops
Origin - More rebranded Sager machines
Alienware - Overrated Dell crap
Razer - Great product, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced.

Indefatigable

Honorable
May 18, 2013
The OP would get more balanced and reasonable responses on the Notebookreview.com forums.

MSI - not rebranded Sager
Sager - Agreed
Alienware - Care to explain?
Razer - Maybe.

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Alienware is extremely overpriced and ugly. Razer is the same, but more overpriced and less ugly.

woofblitzer

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
well I have the same question and maybe some answers..... I have built a Clevo P157SM and a MSI 16F4 chasis with identical components hardware wise on AVADIRECT.COM.

The builds are:

4th gen i7-4700MQ
nvidia 780m
2 x 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro (Clevo) or 2 x 250 Samsung EVO (MSI) SSD drives (there is a price diff, not much perfom diff, EVO not offered on Clevo). These are in RAID0
I had to fiddle with the Clevo innards a little to get them what comes pre included in the MIS that was getting a Blu Ray reader in each, and a Bigfoot Killer 1202 card in each.
I had to pay to upgrade the screen on the Clevo to 95% color, not so on the MSI.

All said and done, the Clevo is $2549, the MSI is 2311.65. The Clevo does have a $50 off coupon if you spend above $1350.

My final question before I buy is which is cooler? I hear the Clevo has two slots, but the MSI runs cooler with one slot and one big fan. Which makes more noise? I heard the MSI is quieter. Don't know for sure. I have also read the Clevo is easier to upgrade later.

Thoughts forum?

I don't get your pricing, other sites are "different"

1st I wouldn't bother with the RAID SSD's ... you'll get impressive benchmarks but will see no tangible benefit.

Base Price = $1769 (Instant $200 off)

15.6” Full HD 16:9 LED-Backlit MATTE 95% NTSC Color Gamut Ultra Bright $0.00
30 day Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels - FREE UPGRADE! $0.00
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 Memory - Special! $0.00
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) $0.00
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU - FREE UPGRADE! $0.00
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz - 2 X 8GB - SPECIAL! $0.00
Samsung® 256GB SSD 840 PRO Series $195.00
Samsung® 256GB SSD SATA III 840 PRO Series (second bay) $260.00
6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software - Special! $0.00
Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 with Bluetooth 4.0 (Dual Band) - FREE Upgrade Special! $0.00

Total $2,224 delivered ! Did I miss something >
And that's before any discounts
http://www.lpc-digital.com/notebook-review-members-military-and-student-discounts.html

Add $80 for Windows 8 -64 if ya need OS .... cant imagine how ya got to $2500

woofblitzer

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013

I found the difference, on is a p157SM the other a p156SM-S or as some call it a P157SM

either way, I think I am going with a MSI 16F4-780, can't get over that stupid emblem on Clevo books, plus I hear the MSI is cooler and more quiet

There's an emblem ? I have never seen one and I have purchased over a dozen of the buggers. There is a "no branding" option at $0 cost

The Asus or MSI should serve well with "default" that is "base price" GPU and GFX....if ya do upgrades, it seems the cooling systems on the mass produced lines....designed for the default CPU / GPU .... are inadequately sized for the upgrades and therefore run hit and noisy. O the ones I ahve seen...the Clevo copper heat sinks are more massive and run quieter.

woofblitzer

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
wow that typing was bad for some reason.
the clevo comes in a P157SM-S version now, which some just call a P158SM. it can run anything 4th gen and vid card wise
the msi 16F4-780 barebone comes with the 780m graphics card included, so i think, if what you say about cooling built around the intended parts, then the msi should be cool enough...

opinion question

would you go i7-4700mq and GTX 780m
or
i7-4800mq with ATI 8970m

they price out about the same

does the 2.7 cpu make up for whatever the ATI may lack?

nowva

Estimable
Feb 15, 2014
i would be dubious about clevo / sager after working for 15+ years at a laptop repair company clevo are the no1 for hard to get parts, when ever we need replacement components clevo are almost impossible, so for out of warranty repairs your going to be stuck, i would stick with major brands asus & msi would be my choice. at the end of the day you pay for what you get !

deadsmiley

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014

Clevo IS a major brand. They have been in the business since 1983, which is much longer than you. They supply laptops to over 50 countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clevo

If you check out Notebook Review you will find that 4 out of the top 10 notebooks are Clevo based.
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Top-10-Gaming-Notebooks-im-Test-bei-Notebookcheck.91065.0.html

Number 1 and number 3 are Alienware. I would buy and Alienware if it looked more business-like. I can't walk into a customer site sporting a blingtastic laptop.

CaseT

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014
This is an interesting comment for me. I'm a total novice when it comes to hardware but I'm in the market for a gaming/business (yes, in that order :) laptop so I've been researching for days. Most of what I've read says Sager is easy to upgrade. Maybe that's different than repairing but can you be more specific? What parts are hard to find? TIA

deadsmiley

Estimable
Mar 31, 2014

Origin is a Clevo.

The Alienware is a nice machine. Overpriced? Maybe. But name another manufacturer that accept video cards from 2 generations newer than were available when it was made? Yes, the Alienware can do that. I have been shopping and passed on the Alienware because I need a machine that looks business like (no bling) . That pretty much left me with Sager/Clevo which is what I bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.