MSN mail: why does it make you wait a month to view recent activity after security change?

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
i'm helping a friend who's email was violated. the person had her password and so I wanted to change it. she didn't know what the password was (long story) but we entered enough info on the security screen that they let us reset the MSN password. however, when we went to change the security notification email, (it was her old friends email so we had to change that asap) MSN told us you cannot view certain parts of the account like the 'recent activity' area until a month from now when they will change the security reset to my cell phone number.

I searched MSN help to no avail. why would they make you wait 1 month to be able to look at the 'recent activity' part of your email account when you can do most everything else. what sucks is by a month we will lose proof that the friend was in her account from another IP

luckydriver

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I did an online chat with msn and they told me they cannot access the IP address of who accessed the email account last week and they assured me that in a month from now when that accounts security unlocks that all the activity would be there. i asked her 5 times in 5 different ways and she said all logons would be there.

the person appeared to be very helpful but in fact was not. they said security changes take a month to prevent someone from taking over your account but i don't know how looking at recent activity prevents a hack?