MSN re-install ?

trainmaster5

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I re-installed MSN from CD, [MSN9 Dialup], and lost some messages that I saved. I originally created a new folder and stored these messages using the "saved on my computer" option. I know these messages are not lost when you uninstall, reinstall the software because I can see messages from 2006 in the folder but not the later ones. Anyone have any idea where these messages are stored? Luckily I did write down most of the program keys for my downloaded programs. I'm using XP Pro.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
your actual account is on the msn server, the software just gets it out of your account from their server and brings it to your PC.

log to your email account on the web and check your actual account, if they live they live there ;) you could try a recovery program but you would need to know the name of the files I think not sure.

trainmaster5

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Actually the "saved on my pc" option lets you do exactly that. The saved message folder which you're referring to remains on the server. The option I was referring to lets you move the messages to your pc to keep you under the storage limit.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
you can choose what ever option you want, but your real account is not on your PC its on the web ;)

now if your save to my PC option moves the files from the server and saves them to your PC thats great for you and if it deletes the messages from the server to your PC then I guess you are out of luck ; )

trainmaster5

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Thanks for the help. A coworker had the same problem and said the messages are on my box. We just have to find which version of MSN they reside in. The un-install just wipes the program, not the messages, basically like Outlook or Outlook Express.