Multiple Devices to Blu-ray Based Receiver

erodger

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello.

I am planning to get a blu-ray based receiver cheap (on a budget). I would like my TV, PC, PS4, PS3 to the receiver.

My TV has no hdmi arc and the blu-ray based receiver just has the one hdmi port. My TV and receiver both had spdif (optical audio) ports.

My question is simply this:
Will I be able to run an optical cable between receiver and TV and have HDMI cables between Consoles, PC, and TV. Will surround sound work in this situation?

erodger

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I have an HDMI switch but I do not think that will work. As the receiver has an HDMI out which I imagine is video for the TV to display content. My TV has 4 HDMI inputs which allows me to connect my PS4, PC, PS3 up to it no problem. I just want the consoles and PC to be able to utilize the surround system too.

erodger

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

It should be input on receiver. Output on TV

erodger

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
So you are saying I need this switch and all my components optical audio cable must be hooled up to it?

PS4
PS3. ----> optical audio switch --> receiver
PC
TV

My current set up has consoles and PC going to TV. Audio comes from TV. I know that if the TV had hdmi arc, then all the devices attached to TV would have surround sound. However, my TV is older. It fortunately has optical out. The receiver has optical in.

So in my head, audio should be leaving TV through the optical audio cable to the surround sound. PS4 would send audio to TV. But TV would have its audio going out through optical audio.

Is a switch really necessary? Shouldnt Optical audio out substitute for those with TVs sans ARC?

PC
PS4 ---> hdmi ---> TV ---> optical audio out to optical in receiver
PS3