MXM Graphics card decision help

invento123

Great
May 5, 2018
So finally got my HP Elitebook Workstation in and being I bought the lowest cost one I could find it came with the lowest end MXM Quadro graphics. Now there's only 2 other officially supported MXM cards made for this machine so Im just going to stick with either of those two for an upgrade. Im upgrading to get a little bit more gaming performance.

Now I need help deciding which one of the two too get. The Firepro M4000 or the Quadro K2000M. I like the Quadro because it has the higher core clock (+145mhz) and it has 2 GB of video memory instead of 1. However, Im skeptical on it and would consider the Firepro because the Quadro has DDR3 memory where as the Firepro has (1GB) GDDR5 and after the big gt 1030 fiasco I dont know if the higher core clock will help me if the memory speed is holding it back.

As always any input or help is greatly appreciated!!!

Solution
1. check power. even if you're having model that supports other card, it might mean other adapter or some other chip changes.
second thing:
WHY you go for QUADRO that is work GPU instead of gaming GPU ?
https://youtu.be/wlEtnbZYaUI?t=73

Performance Quadro:

Depending on the clock speeds, the gaming performance should be similar or slower than the consumer GeForce GT 650M equipped with DDR3 graphics memory. Games of 2012 will run fluently on medium or high settings. Compared to the K2000M, the K1000M only features 192 shader cores of 384.

GTX 965 Performance

Thanks to the increased efficiency, the GeForce GTX 965M performs similar to the previous Kepler-GPU GeForce GTX 870M (1344 shader, 192-bit GDDR5). The more expensive, also...

Rdslw

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
1. check power. even if you're having model that supports other card, it might mean other adapter or some other chip changes.
second thing:
WHY you go for QUADRO that is work GPU instead of gaming GPU ?
https://youtu.be/wlEtnbZYaUI?t=73

Performance Quadro:

Depending on the clock speeds, the gaming performance should be similar or slower than the consumer GeForce GT 650M equipped with DDR3 graphics memory. Games of 2012 will run fluently on medium or high settings. Compared to the K2000M, the K1000M only features 192 shader cores of 384.

GTX 965 Performance

Thanks to the increased efficiency, the GeForce GTX 965M performs similar to the previous Kepler-GPU GeForce GTX 870M (1344 shader, 192-bit GDDR5). The more expensive, also Maxwell-based GTX 970M (1280 shader, 192-bit GDDR5) is a further 35 to 40 percent faster. Overall, the GTX 965M is fast enough to run demanding games as of 2014/2015 with high details and FullHD resolution. In some titles, even additional quality features like anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering are possible.

what model are you aim for ?
quadro cards are weak for games and they cost is like new laptop.....

Solution

invento123

Great
May 5, 2018
I would love to put in a gaming card but as I've read on numerous HP forum posts, only three MXM graphics cards, The Quadro K1000M,
K2000M, and the Firepro M4000 are supported and work in the HP laptop without bois hacking or otherwise.

I just need help deciding which card would give me the best performance in gaming. I know full and well that all of those cards will still be terrible at gaming compared to an actual mainstream gaming card.

TRENDING THREADS