My ACER laptop will not boot from DVD bootable ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyG8864

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Have changed boot order to DVD first option and DVD in drive is ISO bootable disk, yet ACER laptop still goes straight to Windows 8. Any ideas how tio get round?

AndyG8864

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hi, I burned the image onto a DVD using Image Burn application, and tried similar via WIN ISO application. Am looking to set up a Dual Boot startup menu, but the Acer laptop stubbornly keeps loading Windows8. On Windows explorer the DVD drive clearly shows the burned file - with an .ISO suffix. Not what I expected to happen. Anything obvious I may have overlooked?

Logics

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015
Turn off secure boot. Win8 (and the latest updates to Win7) will not allow you to boot anything else if secure boot is on. If you cannot turn off Secure boot, go to legacy mode by disabling UEFI boot.

But then you may not be able to boot Win8 without re-installing. If you are replacing Win8 (which you might have to do anyway if you are resizing drives, etc.), this may not be a problem.

Win7/8 in UEFI mode with secure boot on will not allow dual boot. Even if you successfully load Win8 then Linux, once you boot into Win8 from your default boot loader, it will change the UEFI config so that GrUB2 (rEFIt, rEFInd or whatever) will not load. Yes, MS plays nasty.

So either disable secure boot (if your BIOS has that option) or revert to legacy mode (by disabling UEFI boot).

Status
Not open for further replies.