My dell Inspiron laptop isn't working?? It shows " Checking media: Failed and Boot Devixe not found"

Cybug43

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
As in the title, it shows " Checking media: Failed and Boot Devixe not found". I did a diagnostic and they said "Hard drive not installed". I opened the back and the hard drive was connected and nothing seemed wrong. What do I do? Is the hard drive dead? Can I get the data?

Solution

If it works, backup your files from it then reformat it. You may be able to use it to run Windows again, though it may be damaged and I don't recommend it for the most part. If it does not work, then it's dead, and you should go buy a new one.

If it works in the desktop but not in the laptop, there is a possibility that your laptop's SATA port may be damaged. Try a different 2.5" hard drive if you can find one. Otherwise, have the laptop serviced.

metalicgeek

Estimable
Can you describe the steps leading up to the problem occurring? Had you been using the laptop with no problems until this happened?

If you have access to a desktop, you can plug the hard drive directly into it with SATA data and power cables. You can also buy a 2.5" USB enclosure and insert the drive into it. This will allow you to test if the drive is functional.

Cybug43

Estimable
Oct 3, 2014
@metalicgeek us it was working perfectly until it suddenly froze and I rebooted it. After the reboot this happened. Gonna try the thing with the hard drive and SATA cable but can you tell me what do I do if it worked and what do I do if it didn't?

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi
In most Dell laptops it is easy to extract the hard drive often only 1 screw holds pull out cage with 4 screws holding drive into cage

You have not said what model INSPIRON so we don't know if interface is IDE ( = ATA = PATA) or modern SATA

Connect to a PC internally to power and data cables or a USB adapter and test the hard disk

Western digital data lifeguard for windows will work on other brands of hdd

If hdd not detected in another PC likely the circuit board on the drive has failed

Unless the data is very important and you can afford expert help the data is gone

Just occasionally you remove & re insert hard drive and bad connection is curried and it works again

Regards
Mike Barnes

metalicgeek

Estimable

If it works, backup your files from it then reformat it. You may be able to use it to run Windows again, though it may be damaged and I don't recommend it for the most part. If it does not work, then it's dead, and you should go buy a new one.

If it works in the desktop but not in the laptop, there is a possibility that your laptop's SATA port may be damaged. Try a different 2.5" hard drive if you can find one. Otherwise, have the laptop serviced.

Solution