My Directional Sound is Completely Opposite When Playing Games. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthyDolphin

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
Hi, I just bought the HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset - White, and I'm having a sound issue. The directional audio for games (Rust, CS:GO) is completely opposite. Here's an example. If someone is shooting in front of me, they sound as if they're shooting behind me. It's the same thing with movement too. I've tried so many solutions but non of them worked. I updated the audio drivers. Didn't work. I tried looking all over the internet. Didn't find anything on the issue. I tried every sound format from 7.1 to Headphones. I checked both of the games' options to see if I could change the audio format there as well. Changed the in-game audio format to Headphones. Made sure it was set to Headphones in the Realtek HD Audio Manager. Didn't work. I was getting so frustrated that I bought a sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX 7.1). Didn't work. I updated the audio drivers for that specific sound card. Didn't work. I installed Razor Surround as a last ditch effort. Didn't. Work. Before I owned this headset, I owned a pair of Turtle Beach X-12's and they worked flawlessly. I've also owned a pair of HyperX Cloud II's. This was about a year ago but they had the same issue. I had to buy a new pair of Turtle Beach X-12's to fix that problem, but I don't want to do that again. Please help me.

Reactions: BloomOff
Solution
so it works fine left-left and right-right on your phone but on your pc it is left-right and right-left?

if so, its your pc definitely.

how to fix it? i'd remove every single bit of audio drivers you have as well as razer virtual, then just reinstall the newest for your soundcard you purchased. after that try the rear jack on the soundcard with the default settings.
headphones are stereo only so there is no front or rear technically... only the imagined front and rear due to tone and level of audio response. generally front sounds are louder, sharper and clearer while rear sounds tend to be softer, muffled and at a lower tone.

the first thing i would do is completely disable any and all virtual surround enhancement and run them in pure stereo 2.0 mode then proceed to test them in multiple games.

it might sound silly but you may want to note why you think the front sounds are coming from the rear and the rear are coming from the front. is there a pitch/tone change or similar cue going on that you hear?

also, i would get rid of the myriad of audio drivers you have. completely uninstall each and every one of them, restart and install only one: the soundcard.. multiple installed at once is going to cause nothing but headache.

use the headphones connected via 3.5mm as well and do not try to use any usb connected external like the turtle beach or hxc-ii came with.

--

so what is the cause?

software or driver issues although its hard to say exactly what.

to try and get to the bottom of it though you need to take out variables. given it could be either a usb device issue or onboard audio i'm going to have you disable those by not installing drivers and testing with only soundcard (the one you bought) only.

given your tb's were usb likely you never had the issue because they bypassed your onboard audio. if they had been 3.5mm you would have likely had the issue with them as well. i'm thinking its less an issue with the hxc's and more an issue with your drivers.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
It could be because your ears just don't agree with the way a headphone is presenting the sound. This only happened to me once with one particular headphone I demoed about two years ago and the "front" sounded like it was coming from behind of me. Is left and right working properly?

StealthyDolphin

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
I had my headphones plugged in to the motherboard the first time, they didn't work. So I then got the Soundcard. Plugged them in to that. Didn't work. Motherboard has the same issue. Do you think it's a problem with the computer or my headphones?

get a sound file with left/right test tones, put it on a portable device (phone is fine) and hook your headphones up and play the file. if left is heard on the left channel and right on the right.. then the headphones are fine and its your pc. if that is not correct then it may be a wiring issue on the headphones (fixable but thats a qc issue and would be warranty/exchangeable). double check playing the file on the pc and see if how the headphones play it is the same as on a portable. if only your pc has the issue and the portable is fine then its 100% an issue with your pc.

so it works fine left-left and right-right on your phone but on your pc it is left-right and right-left?

if so, its your pc definitely.

how to fix it? i'd remove every single bit of audio drivers you have as well as razer virtual, then just reinstall the newest for your soundcard you purchased. after that try the rear jack on the soundcard with the default settings.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.