My Girlfriend insists on getting a macbook pro. What do I do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronstyle

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
for some reason my girlfriend thinks that getting a macbook pro will solve her computer problems. She complains that desktops are inadequate, because it's not portable, and anything that isn't a mac isn't as good. She surfs the web, watches a lot of movies, and shows. She also likes to play Sims, and facebook games.

All that is fine with me, but she thinks spending over $1200 on a low spec macbook, will solve her problems. the only problem I see is the fact that intels integrated graphics, wont give her the ability to play pioneervile. She loves to play it on my desktop because it runs so smooth. but she doesn't understand the concept of graphics cards, and I told her if she's going to get one, get the one with a quad core, and a graphics chip, but she says it's too much money....

So, what the hell? You want to shell out over a grand for a dual core, but you wont spend the extra money for a quad core, and graphics chip that will provide the longevity. She wont even consider other laptops, that are much cheaper, and have much better specs.

I've tried to show her solutions from many different companies, particularly the ones ranging from 1k-1.5k that nearly double the specs of the apple. For our 6 year/ christmas present she wants me to put money towards it, but doesn't want the higher end choices.

What do I do?

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
Nothing wrong with it, buy it/ pay for it, in 2 years my dads mac book pro is still in great shape and has no issues. For her uses let her have one then if you are into pc's no arguments when its upgrade time. And the macbook will still be doing exactly what it did before... pretty much nothing a normal laptop can't do.
but it wont be slow with virus junk

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
6 years? congrats then. Just buy the macbook and you'll save time and energy from the ensuing arguments if you tell her to buy other types (also, she'll get the mac eventually, so why bother...). Another part is, it's her decision and if anything scew up, she can't lay the blame on you (nothing will, of course...considering she'll only use it for casual computing)

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

I had to LOL when I read your reply. It brought back so many memories. I was in the same boat as the OP about 2 years back. My then GF, now wife also was adamant about the same thing and she loved those good looking Laptops. So I took her to a store where there were no Apple's and she found a nice and shiny black HP Compaq with all the bells and whistles that was cheaper than the Apple, had better specs and best of all she chose the HP by herself, so she was 120% happy with it and she is still using it today. :)

Just something for the OP to think about. ;)

What the hell man? If she wants it let her pay for it.

It's fine if she wants a MBP, but she needs to learn fiscal responsibilities. If she cannot afford one right now, then she needs to save up money for it.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Just gives her a gaming laptop and she wont be crying for the MAC...
Spec you should look forward too....
-LED
-1080p(1920x1080) or 720p(1366x768)
-GTx 540m(At least for 720p or 1080p if not gaming)
-Quad Core(Or Dual if Quad is expensive)
15-17"
6-8 Cell battery
Anti-Glare Screen
-4-8GB RAM @ 1333(8GB improves performance or better for software)
-500GB(If you format the computer every 3-4 years or so than 500GB is needed because photo and video ganna fill it up)
-Built in KeyBoard W/ Soft press(When hitting or pressing the keys) with or w/out LED Keyboard(Get steel series because they make good keyboards)
Note: Each of these gives prices above $500 so dont expect you get it lower than $700(US Dollars)

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
The MBP will be enough for pioneer trail (is this the game you are talking about?) It is more like a turn-based game so you don't need the responsiveness of say a fighting or shooting game.

I tested it on my hp 2710p with only core 2 duo ULV processor @1.2 GHz, 4GB ram and Mobile Intel GMA X3100 on win 7. It runs fine at 1280x800 resolution, only a bit slow to load at the beginning and when visiting friends lots.

If a MBP can't compare to a 4 year old laptop then... :sarcastic:

I play a few of the facebook games on and off, works fine all of them just takes a seconds to load lager lots with more items. I just prefer using a mouse though because it is a lot of clicking.

Just get her the MBP, people who don't care how a computer works prefer the UI and simplicity. Also I don't wither it is the same around the world but over here the Macs don't depreciate as fast as windows notebooks.

If either of you are in college then get it from a apple education store, it is quite a discount.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Just get her an E-350 amd apu powered laptop. Promise her, if she tries it for a week, still doesnt like it, you will get her the MBP of her choice. ALWAYS works on girls. They have this obsession of proving their BFs wrong. When you get the E-350 lappy, after 4-5 days just go to an apple store and tell her some small useless things the MBP can do better. Then admit, MBP isnt bad and are willing to let the 400$ spent on current lappy be waste. Women just hate to let the money go waste(BY MEN). Also, you would have then made a case for MBP, so she will then jump to E-350s side. Game. Set.Match. :)

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
The Intel HD 3000 on the 13" MacBook Pro should be good enough for most Flash games out there. So the laptop probably would manage for your Girlfriend's needs.

The main requirements of the Laptop are probably the SHINY silver Aluminium finish. If you are going to show another laptop to her make sure it is shiny and white too. This is relatively difficult to do in the Windows Laptop range.

As another person suggested, take a look at the MacBook Air, or one of the ASUS Ultrabooks when it comes out. These have the same HD 3000 Graphics as the larger MacBook Pros, but sport an SSD for really quick boot times. Plus they are shiny Aluminium. Sadly neither would be user upgradable I expect.

BTW: Apple use FOXCONN to make all their products. Foxconn makes low quality products for many companies (DELL, HP, ACER, ETC) but Apple seem to have some agreement with Foxconn as the Iphone seems to have a relatively low failure rate.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Well, it looks that she doesn't care about specs, she wants a MBP and that's it!
I liked the suggestion to have her try notebooks, make her try 3 notebooks:
- First, MBP
- Second, notebook that have same specs than MBP
- Third, notebook that have same price than MBP

Show to her, IF HER WANT, she can have a notebook within same specs for less money or a notebook that costs as much but is much beefier.

And don't question her choice ultimate choice.. you will never win.. lol

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
sergeyn nailed it. If a MBP is all it takes to make her happy (with repect to computers, at least), the price difference between the MBP she wants and the laptop that you think she should get is cheap at twice the price.

Remember, this is not about you. Smile and say, "Yes, dear." Save the fight for somethingthat really matters.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I don't understand the problem here. If she wants one, so what? Its not your concern at all. If you want to shell out a few bucks for the down payment, that's up to you, but after that, keep your mouth shut about it, and forget about it.

Don't end up on Judge Judy whining and sniveling about how you "loaned your ex-girlfriend" money for a computer and now you want that money back.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
There are many ways you can deal with this:
A) Dump her, Reason: If she does not care about your opinion, and does not belive you know about this more (and you obviosly do), then that sort of GF will eventually do something more than spend your cash.

B)Tell her to buy it herself, and add the "idea" maybe then you will try to think it a bit more and listen to at least some of the reasons that i can offer to you.

C)Find a "womans way" to explain the problem of getting a macbook. This would require a lot of time, and there is no guarantee it will work.

D)Accept that women many times buy things for how they look, not for that they are usefull (flowers anyone? ok, dead flowers actually).

Status
Not open for further replies.