My laptop also does not have "Manage Wireless Networks"

Feb 23, 2018
I'm trying to remove my router (bypass router and go straight from modem to laptop wireless) but when I remove router from the equation, my wifi no longer shows up as an option to connect to. Last week I spoke to Comcast, my wifi provider and we did a speed test. With my laptop connected to the modem by USB cable (and the router removed) the test results were anywhere from 60 to 69 but when the router was connected to the modem, we were lucky to get a 16 reading. This was done several times with similar results. Can I remove the router and get the correct wifi signal to my laptop? Thank you.

You would have to access the settings for the modem and turn on the WiFi. That is if the modem has WiFi. Since you had been using a router, the WiFi settings on the modem may not have been turned on. Check the manual for the modem. If you don't have it there, you should e able to find it online. That will give you the exact info for turning on the WiFi from the modem, if it has it.

Feb 23, 2018

Feb 23, 2018
Thank you for your timely response. I will try to find the modem info, whether online or by manual but that sounds like it may be my solution. The modem is only about 2 years old and I believe that it can be used without the router but the router was aready in place when we substituted the new modem and turned in the old one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 1
LLRye Laptop Tech Support 8
B Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 2
K Laptop Tech Support 6
D Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 5
P Laptop Tech Support 4
B Laptop Tech Support 1
V Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 3