My Laptop Crashes (instantly turns off) When playing SOME Games

MrSalty

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015
As the title says, my laptop (Lenovo Y560p) turns off randomly but only when playing some games. My computer hasn't always done this but I don't know what happened to make it start.

There is no BSOD, the computer just turns off (no shutdown process). Through Event Viewer I see a critical event recorded "Event 41, Kernel-Power."

It seems very unlikely that my laptop is overheating because some graphics intensive games play fine.

I have had this problem for far too long and I am tired of trying to fix it alone so I am hoping that someone out there has a solution.

Thanks for all of the help!

Hi,

Do start by updating the graphics card driver.

- Go to Device Manager and uninstall AMD graphics card driver
- Open Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to AMD graphics
- Download and install driver from AMD support site.
- Here's the link where you can download it: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot the laptop for all the changes to take effect after it finished installing.
- After the reboot make sure that AMD is set to run all games.

If that doesn't work you may need to open the laptop and make sure that there's no dust stopping the fans from spinning properly. Also reapply a new thermal paste that would surely help in cooling your laptop.

MrSalty

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015

I have done all of the above (except the thermal paste because overheating doesn't seem to be the problem). I used to be able to play all of these games and out of nowhere some games stopped working. Even after doing all of the above steps (except the thermal paste) the problem persists. Any other recommendations?

MrSalty

Estimable
Oct 21, 2015

I have also given this consideration but unfortunately there is no restore available from a point before the problem started.