My laptop displays a white screen when turned on - Gateway NV57H58U

BrendanTanner

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
My laptop, a gateway NV57H58U, displays a white screen when turned on. I can still hear it start up, and I can use it normally by plugging it into my TV via HDMI. I checked the connection between the motherboard and the screen on both ends, unplugged and re-plugged, and still no dice.

The other day I was using it via TV, and I started periodically getting faint, still images of what I was doing on the TV screen. I am not sure whether I should replace the screen itself, or if the cable is faulty, or even if the connection to the motherboard is bad. I'm trying to decide how to go about fixing it, as a replacement screen is only $50 and something that's well within my abilities; however, soldering on the motherboard is a little advanced for me (I just started learning how to solder, and have so far only done it with wires for a car stereo).

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for your help!

-Brendan

BrendanTanner

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
Thank you! I wasn't certain based on the ghost images I was getting, but I had left the laptop in my car one night while I ran some errands and temperatures were below freezing, so I figured that might have affected it. It still worked for about two weeks after, but it must've pushed it enough to break eventually. I'll order a new screen today and keep my fingers crossed!