My Laptop Does Not Recognize My Tablet

Larry_81

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
I've looked for this answer and they all seem to say look for 'Enable Mass USB Storage" but I find no such setting on either my laptop or the LG tablet. I want to transfer photos and videos from the tablet storage to the computer and I can't. Nor is there a way to transfer them to the SD card in the tablet, which would be a work around. The USB cable is good, because when I plug my phone in the laptop recognizes it. It just doesn't work on the LG tablet.

When the tablet is connected to the laptop via USB cord, go to "Start" and in the search type "Computer" (without the quotes of course) and from the list choose "Computer" only. In the window that pops up you should see your laptops drive, any partitioned part of the drive, and the tablet should be listed. Although it may not be listed by its actual name. It could say something else.

Double click on it and you should have access to the tablet itself.

If that doesn't work, try this...

1. After plugging in the tablet, go to "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager".
2. In "Device Manager" go to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
3. You should see listed the storage devices that you have connected to your laptop.
4. Right click on the device and then click "Uninstall".
5. Remove the tablet from the laptop and restart your system.
6. Once the computer restarts, reconnect your tablet. It should register now.

Larry_81

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
I appreciate your effort, but none of those things can be done on this machine, apparently. I am using Windows 10 and it does enough annoying things as it is. The laptop is an HP I bought last year and it came with Windows 10. If I try Search it opens Cortana which is useless, when I type in Computer.it opens Edge as if I wanted to search the internet.
As to Device Manager-- under Universal Serial Bus Controllers I don't see anything about an LG tablet.
As I said, I appreciate your taking time to help, but this thing has me baffled.

Dec 3, 2018
I hate Windows 10 as well. However I wanted to reach out (2 years later) because I'm having the same problem as Larry_81 and I cannot find an answer anywhere online. I mean anywhere. I've read so many articles and tried literally everything I can think of and I still cannot get my laptop to even detect my tablet.

Let's start at the beginning.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) 10.1 (Model: SM-T580) - Running Android 7.0 (Yes still, at the end of 2018) - about a month ago.

Up until 2 days ago I had my USB OTG working fine on it (the OTG issue is also a problem but that was the catalyst for what came next). All of a sudden, the tablet (and the app I use for file management - ES File Explorer) wouldn't recognize my OTG devices (I use a few - some small flash drives, and a couple of larger ext hard drives).

Thinking it was a hardware issue I thought, hey let's plug the tablet into my computer (HP running Win10) and see what's up. Even though I've had the tablet for over a month at this point I hadn't actually plugged it into the computer yet. And when I did, nothing happened. Nada. It started to charge the tablet (the little charging pic showed up on the battery icon so you know it's charging) but that's it.

There was no recognition that I had even plugged anything in. No drive shows up, it doesn't even appear as an unrecognized device in Device Manager. Just nothing. I mean there's no indication on tablet that it's been plugged into a computer either - no pop-up showing USB connection options, nothing. I've looked at all these Windows settings (ie device manager, devices and printers, usb settings,) and downloaded apps and drivers. Downloading the Samsung driver did nothing. I've restarted both - laptop and tablet - a million times and nothing changes.

For the record my two Samsung phones work fine. They plug into the laptop and pop up right away. All my charging cables are practically brand new and work fine. There's no issues with my laptop, none - it's not the usb ports. I tried them ALL AND tried practically every android cable I own. Nothing. No difference.

It has to be something within the tablet. Since my USB OTG was working a few days ago and now it's not, it has to be something with the tablet. A hardware, software or firmware issue that I'm not seeing. I tried to clear this cache and that cache. I enabled developer options and turned on USB Debugging (didn't help) - I made sure the USB connection was set to MTP (didn't matter, didn't change anything). I put the tablet into Recovery Mode and deleted the something something cache...I put it in Odin mode (and it kinda locked up but it didn't fix or damage anything so I just took it out of Odin mode and restarted it). I then did a complete factory reset (which was annoying) and that didn't help.

At this point I don't know what to do. I need some serious geek power right now. I figure it might have something to do with the (micro) USB input on the tablet, but surely it can't be as 1. I just bought this thing a month ago and 2. My OTG was working 2 days ago. Surely nothing would have changed or damaged the hardware like that... it's gotta be a software thing but I can't find any help regarding what to do or download or what settings to modify so that the laptop will at least recognize that a device has been connected.

Help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Android Tablets 3
austinemble Android Tablets 1
H Android Tablets 2
L Android Tablets 1
O Android Tablets 1
M Android Tablets 1
L Android Tablets 1
A Android Tablets 2
S Android Tablets 1
T Android Tablets 1