My laptop GPU runs at 100c at low clock speeds, should I repaste?

Mar 25, 2018
I have an Asus ROG GL552VX laptop with a GTX950M 2gb GPU inside. Recently I have been experiencing a very slow performance from my laptop. My laptop is nearly 2 years old. I used MSI Afterburner to monitor my temperatures and I noticed my GPU was running at 99% load at 100c. I was concerned so I cleaned the fan and the inside of the laptop using compressed air. I then ran the games again but nothing had changed. I have tried options like power usage in NVIDIA control panel and updating drivers and BIOS but nothing has worked. I can confirm my games are not running on my Intel integrated GPU. The only solution I have left is to take it to a repair shop and ask them to reapply thermal paste for my GPU heatsink. Should I do this?

Ingame Details
dbqd5x.jpg

As you can see my CPU temperatures are completely fine but my GPU is overheating. Also, the Clock speed is very low which I am assuming is from thermal throttling.

MSI Afterburner
2coqum8.png

SPECS:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz 44 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GL552VX (U3E1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 530 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 87 °C(at idle)
ForceWare version: 391.24
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS541010A9E680 (SATA) 41 °C

Solution
There could be something else also, Heatsink not working properly or not properly seated. Or just thermal paste just dryed. Looks like all is integrated to motherboard, here is instructions how to apply thermal paste. I would suggest GC Gelid extreme or NT-H1 ... first one is slightly better even but depends on your budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJ2qQ3Jl84

Get some isoprophyl alcohol more percentage is better like 80% or more. Use qtips or wipes dipped into isoprophyl alcohol to clean processor /gpu and ALSO heatisink which touches them good. You can scratch heatsink with force but more gently when dealing with motherboard chips. After heatsink is completely clean and gpu and cpu cores shine apply thermal paste, you can...
Mar 25, 2018

Yes it is and before cleaning it air didn't come out as much but now I can easily feel the air being pushed out. However, this air is actually quite a low temp for the supposed 100c temps (it's not cold its just room temp getting blown out)

Mar 25, 2018

I have used CPU Z and my temps are high 70s at idle and solid 100c under load. The fans run perfectly fine and clean.

Mar 25, 2018

So is it safe to say that if I have the thermal paste reapplied my temperature issues can be solved? Will they definitely go down to what they used to be when I first bought the laptop? Also, thank you for your answer I will definitely get it fixed soon to avoid more components getting damaged.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
There could be something else also, Heatsink not working properly or not properly seated. Or just thermal paste just dryed. Looks like all is integrated to motherboard, here is instructions how to apply thermal paste. I would suggest GC Gelid extreme or NT-H1 ... first one is slightly better even but depends on your budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbJ2qQ3Jl84

Get some isoprophyl alcohol more percentage is better like 80% or more. Use qtips or wipes dipped into isoprophyl alcohol to clean processor /gpu and ALSO heatisink which touches them good. You can scratch heatsink with force but more gently when dealing with motherboard chips. After heatsink is completely clean and gpu and cpu cores shine apply thermal paste, you can use more than a drop like they say because its not dekstop chip with heat spreader.

Use plenty and then screw heatsink pretty tight, dont go overboard and break motherboard when screwing, just that screws lock in tightly

When your doing it clean fan and that side of laptop case of any dirt you can see, you can disassembly fan from its case to clean it more proper.

EDIT: apply thermal paste after all alcohol is evaporated from heatsink and cpu / gpu

Solution