Solved! My laptop has a 256 GB SSD, can I have a 1TB HDD along with the current SSD?

maynigam

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Hello everyone

My laptop came with a 256 GB SSD, I knew its very less but I went ahead with it considering SSD is much better than HDD and I could always buy an external HDD. I find it very hard to carry around and plug the external HDD everytime.
Is it possible to have an internal SSD+HDD combination? If so, how do I figure out if my laptop would support it?

I know a 1 TB internal SSD is an ideal solution but the SSD would cost as must as my laptop cost me :)

Solution
"So, it looks like I don't hav any options now"

An option that occurs to me is USB flash drives. Yes, you'd have to plug it (them) in but carrying them around shouldn't be a problem. It seems Newegg is selling 256 GB sticks for < $50 at the moment. 3 of those with your SSD would get you to the TB of storage (do you really need that much?) you mention in your original post. Oh... and they are USB 3.0 so .... quick to read and write to .... I'm assuming your laptop has USB 3.0 ports.
Actually, I may have just talked myself into buying one lol.
Does your laptop have a DVD drive? Usually, you can replace it with an HDD caddy that just replaces the DVD drive (2.5" HDD, and you lose your DVD drive, of course).

Other than the DVD drive option, it's only possible on laptops specifically designed for the purpose - and honestly since you're asking the question, it's not likely yours is one of them.

For replacing the DVD drive with an HDD caddy, just search "make/model laptop harddrive caddy or similar, and you should see quite a few options.

maynigam

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Thanks for the reply, but my laptop does not have a dvd drive!
So, it looks like I don't hav any options now.. Shud I open it up and see if there is extra space for a HDD?

captaincharisma

Distinguished

why not just contact your computer manufacturer or look at the specs on their website before risking something by opening your laptop.

robert600

Distinguished
"So, it looks like I don't hav any options now"

An option that occurs to me is USB flash drives. Yes, you'd have to plug it (them) in but carrying them around shouldn't be a problem. It seems Newegg is selling 256 GB sticks for < $50 at the moment. 3 of those with your SSD would get you to the TB of storage (do you really need that much?) you mention in your original post. Oh... and they are USB 3.0 so .... quick to read and write to .... I'm assuming your laptop has USB 3.0 ports.
Actually, I may have just talked myself into buying one lol.

Solution

captaincharisma

Distinguished

or if the laptop has an SD card slot they can pick up a 200GB SD card. they may be slower then USB drives but they won't stick out the side of the laptop