My laptop has been doing this for several months. I do not have any idea when everything was working fine. Should I just perfo

adganan4

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Laptop screen blinks on and off for several months now. Should I perform a Factory Reset instead of System Restore?

If it is the display, then the computer memory/software may not be the problem. It could be a cable going bad, the display going bad or even the graphics card/GPU. Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

adganan4

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Thank yo so much. Unfortunately, this is out of my wheelhouse. I'll take it to a repair shop today. I'll be happy to post what they find if you think it may be helpful to others.