My laptop is crashing frequently - how can I fix it?

Mickey_blu_eyes

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015
My laptop has started crashing quite frequently, the screen just freezes + no mouse/keyboard response - I have also noticed when it does so, that putting pressure on most areas of the underside cover causes some coloured lines to appear on the screen. It also seems to be fairly sluggish and 'glitchy' the rest of the time as well. I haven't made significant changes to it recently, and the windows 'check disc for errors' couldn't find anything wrong. It's quite old I have to admit (c.5yrs). What could be the cause of the crashes and how might I fix it? Thanks very much in advance

Solution

Hi Oli,

By the looks of the temperature its not the lowest in the world but it should not be causing your laptop to crash so violently, so my advise for that. If you want to open your laptop clean...

Mickey_blu_eyes

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015
Hi Matt, thanks for answering, Specs as follows:

HP G62-a60SA Notebook PC
Microprocessor
1.8 GHz AMD Phenom II Triple-Core Processor P820
Microprocessor Cache
Level 2 cache 1.5 MB
Memory
4 GB DDR3 (2 x 2048 MB)
Memory Max
Supports up to 4 GB DDR3 memory
Video Graphics
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics
Video Memory
up to 2046 MB total available graphics memory
Display
39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display (1366 x 768)
Hard Drive
320 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
Multimedia Drive
SATA optical drive: LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Network Card
Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity
802.11 b/g/n
Sound
Altec Lansing speakers
Keyboard
Full size keyboard with One touch launch keys and Action keys
Pointing Device
Touch Pad with On/Off button and 2-way Scroll pad support
PC Card Slots
5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro or xD Picture cards
External Ports
1 VGA port
1 HDMI port
1 stereo headphone-out
1 microphone-in
3 USB 2.0 ports
1 RJ45 ethernet port
Dimensions
24.6 cm (L) x 37.4 cm (W) x 3.18 cm (min H) / 3.68 cm (max H)
Weight
2.2 kg
Power
65 W AC Power Adapter
6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion) battery
What's In The Box
Webcam with Integrated Microphone (VGA)

matthewkeogh50

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Thanks for the specs :)

So first i would check the temp on the cpu and everything else really, I recommendthis http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

on second I would be looking into a failing hard drive, I recommend http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/hard-drive-health/

let me know how you get on

Matt :)

Mickey_blu_eyes

Estimable
Mar 9, 2015
Hi Matt, thanks for the suggestions.

I already have speedfan on here - this was showing 40 deg C for the HD and about 65/66 for the core - I have since raised it off the tabletop, giving it more air, and thats gone down to 55 or so. It's still glitchy but no longer completely crashes. Does that mean I need a new fan?

Also I installed Acronis, which says the HD is fine, but there have been 3 critical events - 1 low risk of 'Volsnap' source, and 2 high risk of 'Ntfs' source. What does that mean?

Many thanks for all the help,

Oli

matthewkeogh50

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Hi Oli,

By the looks of the temperature its not the lowest in the world but it should not be causing your laptop to crash so violently, so my advise for that. If you want to open your laptop clean the dust out (i am guessing this is causing high temps) and re apply some new thermal paste, but as I said earlier on I would not blame this to cause your laptop to crash. I had a look into the error and the Windows error seems to be related to the system not being able to read the hard drive which could explain the crashing all of a sudan...... this is what I found https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557433(v=vs.85).aspx

That does have a how to fix it guide on there but it is aimed at developers so good luck if you try it.

I am sorry I can not be more use on this but my final answer to what is causing the crashing is relating to the error you got "ntfs" its seems the file that tells windows how to read the hard drive is corrupt. If you can might be best to back up and do a fresh install.

Hope that helps
Matt :)

Solution