My laptop shuts down after being closed for a while?

DeltaTaco

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
So I'm not really sure why this is happening, but for a while now my laptop has been turning itself off after a while of being closed. Like, when I close the lid it goes to sleep but then if it stays like that for a while it shuts down. At first I wasn't really paying attention and I also wasn't using it often so I figured that it would go to sleep and in a few days the battery would just go dead (like I said i hadn't been using it very often at all) But I just noticed that actually my battery was full when turning it on. I also checked the "Change what closing the lid does" setting andit isn't set to power down. So what could be causing this, and how do I fix it?

Solution
"Do you know what the specific setting is call and/or how to find it, because I looked for something like that and wasn't successful"

Depends on your version of Windows. For Windows 7, open Control Panel, select Hardware and Sound, select Power options. For Windows 10, type Power Options in the Cortana box and go to it.

But let me repeat, your laptop is behaving as it should. It is following the Power Options Windows set up when you installed Windows. You machine will shut down when unused after 10-20 minutes. That's completely normal. You can change it in Power Options, or just leave it as is.

slowhands95128

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

Your laptop is shutting down like it should. In your Power Options, you choose how long the laptop stays on without use, regardless of the lid position. Windows default is typically 10 minutes on battery, 30 minutes on AC. You can change these power settings. I typically put 30 minutes on battery, and I put Never on AC, so I can do long update sessions and so on. But it sounds like nothing is wrong, you just need to set it like you want.

DeltaTaco

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Generally it's in a backpack, however if this is leading up to what I think it is overheating isn't a problem. Last night I had it just out on my desk and it did the same thing.

jackprogamer

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

full spec+win

DeltaTaco

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Do you know what the specific setting is call and/or how to find it, because I looked for something like that and wasn't successful

slowhands95128

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
"Do you know what the specific setting is call and/or how to find it, because I looked for something like that and wasn't successful"

Depends on your version of Windows. For Windows 7, open Control Panel, select Hardware and Sound, select Power options. For Windows 10, type Power Options in the Cortana box and go to it.

But let me repeat, your laptop is behaving as it should. It is following the Power Options Windows set up when you installed Windows. You machine will shut down when unused after 10-20 minutes. That's completely normal. You can change it in Power Options, or just leave it as is.

Solution

DeltaTaco

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

It's an ASUS K55N-DB81 so it has an AMD A8 and 500GB HDD plus whatever else comes stock. Running Windows 10 build 10586.545

DeltaTaco

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Thanks! I didn't think anything major was wrong, the setting just changed from what it was originally when I installed Windows 10 and I wasn't quite sure what had changed.