my lenovo Y520 laptop shuts down and when i on it again, the lights on the keyboard keeps flashing

Oct 28, 2018
i just left my desk for less than 3 minutes and when i came back my laptop was off, and when i tried to turn back on, the screen was still black but the keyboard light was flashing red

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Now if there are no signs of life, then it may be something more serious and I would suggest taking it to a tech.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Now if there are no signs of life, then it may be something more serious and I would suggest taking it to a tech.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop Tech Support 0
R Laptop Tech Support 0
Psychedelico Laptop Tech Support 4
M Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
V Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1