My Microphone on the Lenovo R400 suddenly stopped working

Oscelmgroses

Estimable
May 11, 2015
As far as i can tell, no changes were made to the computer.... i have tried using another microphone that i know works (tested on another computer) but again it does not pick up any sound. only when being plugged into the jack in the front do i get a spike in sound. I tried re installing some drivers, but without success.

Solution

Hello again Oscelmgroses

If this is the case, you may want to use the Windows built-in troubleshooter to resolve the issue. Here is how:

> Go to the Control Panel.

> Under the System and Security category, click the Find and fix problems link.

> On the Troubleshooting window, click the Troubleshoot audio recording link under the Hardware and Sound category. (Note: If prompted for, provide the...
Hello

It seems there is some misconfiguration in the microphone settings.

What you can do is:

Step 01 - Connect the microphone to the correct jack.

Step 02 - Right-click the speaker icon from the System Tray (from the bottom-right corner of the desktop screen).

Step 03 - From the context menu, click Recording devices.

Step 04 - From the opened Sound box, ensure that you are on the Recording tab.

Step 05 - Click to select the External Mic icon.

Step 06 - Click the Set Default button from the bottom if it gets enabled, click OK and check if the microphone has started working. If the button doesn't get enabled or the issue persists, continue with the next step.

Step 07 - Click the Properties button from the bottom-right corner of the box.

Step 08 - On the External Mic Properties box, go to the Listen tab.

Step 09 - Check the Listen to this device checkbox and ensure that the Default Playback Device option is selected from the drop-down list.

Step 10 - Go to the Levels tab.

Step 11 - Move the Microphone bar to the right (till the value in the box displays 100).

Step 12 - Click OK to save the changes.

Step 13 - Check if the issue has been resolved.

If the problem persists, you may want to restore Windows to an earlier restore point. Instructions to get this done can be found here.

Let me know if this helps. Good Luck!! :)

Oscelmgroses

Estimable
May 11, 2015
thanks, however it has not resolved the problem :s weather its my inbuilt mic... an external mic.. .any mic i try it has the same issue. Could there be any other possible reason you could think of for this happening? i would prefer to resolve it rather than restore to an earlier point.

Hello again Oscelmgroses

If this is the case, you may want to use the Windows built-in troubleshooter to resolve the issue. Here is how:

> Go to the Control Panel.

> Under the System and Security category, click the Find and fix problems link.

> On the Troubleshooting window, click the Troubleshoot audio recording link under the Hardware and Sound category. (Note: If prompted for, provide the administrator credentials (username and password) to continue.)

> From the opened Recording Audio box, follow the on-screen instructions of the wizard to troubleshoot the issue.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!! :)

Solution