My mom has a Newer Laptop

THSNOTLEK

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I want to use the laptops I have for Minecraft would my moms dual core 2.0 ghz HP g60 do good. Or fix up my Compaq Presario R3000 2.8ghz single core?

cannabishead

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Likely your moms laptop is going to be best suited to playing games. Dual core 3gigs ram and intel gma 4500m integrated graphics is likely going to be able to play minecraft. I've seen similar builds with same gpu play prototype on best settings and still play smoothly. I would suggest going to this website http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

finding minecraft and see if the specs of her laptop meet the minimum requirements of the game.

Sadly your R3000 isn't suited for much of anything, and likely isn't worth the upgrade unless you plan to do an entire rebuild which would be pointless at that point as it's easier and likely more cost efficient to buy a whole new laptop.

Hope this helps.

cannabishead

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
9fps is pretty low. Barely playable. Did you try turning down the visual settings on minecraft? Also try downloading
Ccleaner and running the cleaner portion of the program. Often times people don't realize that they need to clean out the junk from their computers and when they don't it can hinder performance significantly.

Be warned this program (if you don't change the settings manually) will automatically delete browser history, browser cache..etc. So i'd suggest checking with your mom first before running it.

cannabishead

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
How much space is on the hard drive? Have you defragmented recently? If not try defraggler. Same company that makes Ccleaner.

Don't expect to get more than about 15 FPS out of that laptop. It's not meant to game. It's just capable of gaming. Chances are there's not too much more you can do. If it's playable, even if it can be laggy at times, then I wouldn't expect too much more than that.

THSNOTLEK

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Yeah 0% fragmented is it the graphics thats the problem has a gaming graphics of 3.4 in windows index (Yeah I know not meant for benchmarking?) So the R3000 wouldnt be good at anything it was built for gaming and was $1000 when it came out I have the 1gb pentium 4 version.

cannabishead

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Give me the full specs of the R3000.

Yes mostly the graphics The unfortunate thing about laptops of most don't come with a graphics card slot so it's not really possibly to upgrade the graphics on a laptop. You could upgrade the cpu and the ram. But as I understand it the mother board of your moms laptop is only capable of handling 4 gigs of ram. And if the specs that I read about it are correct then she already has three. So an extra gig of ram isn't going to make a huge difference in gaming especially.
The cpu can help some but it's the gpu that needs to be upgraded in order to get the best performence out of any game.

If you ever decide to build a computer yourself I'm willing to help you out in picking the best parts for best price.

THSNOTLEK

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I have a desktop and it works great parents are divorced and need a fun portable option I already have. My R3000 isn't currently working power chord broke battery doesn't work and has a soldering issue with the power jack. I read it has a Pentium 4 2.8 ghz 1-1 1/2 gb ram Mobility Radeon 9000 (not HD 9000) 120gb hd I think. It was great when I had the chance to play it but haven't really tested it for minecraft.

cannabishead

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Check out this link.

It's a comparison of the two gpu's.

The gma 4500m (the one in your moms laptop) is quite a bit better.

Here is a quick comparison of the two.

R3000 Hp G60
Radeon 9000m vs Gma 4500m = Gma 4500m Wins by alot
1- 1 & 1/2 Gigs ram vs 3-4 gigs ram = 3-4 gigs wins by alot
2.8ghz single core vs 2.0 ghz dual core = dual core wins by alot
hard drive info unknown.

Even from that limited comparison it's obvious that her laptop wins by a landslide.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=575&gid2=81&compare=intel-gma-4500m-hd-vs-mobility-radeon-9000-64mb

cannabishead

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

cannabishead

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
GO back to c cleaner and under tools>startup kill and programs that you don't need.

Also close all programs while playing the game. Go to windows task bar and click the up arrow at the bottom right of screen and make sure all programs there are killed as well.