My SQL 5.5 installation

busymaverick

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Hi!

I am new to database engineering and i need to install mysql on my computer.

I have the following to start with,
MySQL 5.5.10-win32.msi

My computer configs and setup:
Laptop

Dell Inspiron 14r
windows 7 32 bit installed.
kaspersky installed

i want to make the laptop as server and client both.

Desktop
Windows 7 32 bit installed
kaspersky installed.

both the computer connect via Linksys WAG120N
reguired port forwarded on the router.

Laptop is connected via wireless and desktop wired to the router.
i am getting the port not opened error

Please help me :(

Solution
I'd suggest that you read the MySQL handbook. It's very comprehensive and should guide you through installation and initial configuration.

MySQL has a similar command-line interface (I've forgotten what it's called, probably "mysql", but the manual will tell you). Alternatively there are various GUI interfaces that you can use; or you could use Visula Studio in Windows.

busymaverick

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
in my college they have set up a server which i have never seen. and when we goto lab, we just type http://sqlserver/isqplus and we have to login using username and pass set by the server and then we code our database.
is there a way to do that with my two systems?

is there any online database like that which i can use ?

Ijack

Distinguished
I'd suggest that you read the MySQL handbook. It's very comprehensive and should guide you through installation and initial configuration.

MySQL has a similar command-line interface (I've forgotten what it's called, probably "mysql", but the manual will tell you). Alternatively there are various GUI interfaces that you can use; or you could use Visula Studio in Windows.

Solution

Ijack

Distinguished
Sorry, should have given you a link. It's at: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/. You can also download any additional components, such as ODBC, JDBC, and .NET drivers, that you might need. It's a very good database system nowadays and seems (to me) to be much easier to use and better documented than MS SQL Server.