My Toshiba Portage R930 won't boot. F2 comes up but not F8 for repair. I am currently running Windows 10

Nugget 005

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
My Toshiba Portage R930 won't boot. F2 comes up but not F8 for repair. I am currently running Windows 10. When trying to boot the screen shows a 1/2 cycle then repeats. When holding F8 then the power button I get a beep sound only. When I push Ctrl Alt Del the login window briefly appears. Other than that I can only look at F2 and am not sure what I am looking at.

Solution
Sadly, there's no Safe Mode in Windows 10 so F8 does nothing.

When it tries to boot press the power button until it powers down. Try again and do that every time and it will eventually offer you the StartUp Repair options. Hopefully you will find one that sorts it out. Try fix startup problems first and if that fails, go to the Command Prompt and type
chkdsk /r
and hit Enter. That looks for hard disk errors and the /r switch tries to fix them.
Sadly, there's no Safe Mode in Windows 10 so F8 does nothing.

When it tries to boot press the power button until it powers down. Try again and do that every time and it will eventually offer you the StartUp Repair options. Hopefully you will find one that sorts it out. Try fix startup problems first and if that fails, go to the Command Prompt and type
chkdsk /r
and hit Enter. That looks for hard disk errors and the /r switch tries to fix them.

Solution

Nugget 005

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016

Nugget 005

Commendable
Jul 4, 2016
Hi, Saga.

Thank you for your solution. Did as you said 17-times and it went straight through to login. I have now saved a rescue disc to use should I have another problem. Thanks again.