My tv has 2 hdmi ports one works with both roku stick and cable box, separately, but the other gets "no signal."

DonnaNJ

Estimable
May 10, 2015
My tv has 2 hdmi ports. One works with both my new Roku streaming stick and my TV cable box (separately) but the other gets "no signal." Why won't the other hdmi port work and what can I do?
I tried unplugging everything for 10 minutes, which several people said worked for them, but it didn't work for me.

DonnaNJ

Estimable
May 10, 2015
There are no cards involved. My tv, an Insignia LCD, is connected to a cable box via the HDMI 1 port in the back of the TV. I just bought a Roku streaming stick (hdmi version) and when u connected it to the HDMI 2 port, I not "no signal." I tried using the HDMI 1 for the Roku stick and it worked perfectly. When I connected the TV cable box to the HDMI 2, I got "no signal." So it appears that the HDMI 2 port isn't working?

DonnaNJ

Estimable
May 10, 2015

Yes--if I understand what you mean by changing the TV's input selection. The TV cable box was connected to the TV's HDMI 1 port on the back of the TV. When I connected the Roku streaming stick to the HDMI 2 on the side of the TV and got the "no signal," I switched the TV cable box to the HDMI 2 to see what happens, and I got the "no signal" again. And as I said, when I connected tot Roku stick to HDMI 1, it worked fine, so I know the problem isn't related to the Roku stick.

Tradesman1

Honorable
On the TV itself - you should have a menu that lets you select the input source, be it HDMI1 or HDMI2 or PC or TV or CABLE or whatever ---- You have to select what source you want to view, it won't just automatically show whatever you plug into

DonnaNJ

Estimable
May 10, 2015
Thank you, Tradesman 1. I'll try that. It's actually my mom's TV and I'll be there tomorrow, so I'll try it then. I have Roku in my own TV but it's a different setup, but I do have to select between HDMI 1 and the streaming option, so what you say makes sense. I'll let you know.

DonnaNJ

Estimable
May 10, 2015
I don't see an option to select an input source when I go into the menu. I went into settings but don't see anything there related to input (as far as I understand). Is there something else I should do? Does it matter that this tv has fios?

DonnaNJ

Estimable
May 10, 2015
I found the solution. I had to use the original Insignia TV remote to access the source input rather than the cable box remote. It works fine that way. However, that means using three remotes: the FIOS cable box remote to watch TV; the Insignia TV remote to switch HDMI ports; and the Roku remote to stream in the Roku channels. My mother does not want to do that so I'm returning the Roku. Thanks so much for your help, Tradesman1. I wouldn't have known about changing the input source without you.

TechGirls

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015

TechGirls

Estimable
Aug 22, 2015
Cable and Sat remotes usually have an "Input" button on them. That would eliminate the need to use the TV remote for that function. The Cable and Sat remotes will control most current models of TV's if you program them properly with the best make and model info or code number for your TV model. Some units or remotes are easier to program than others. In all cases you can:
1. Go to the Cable and Sat company's website for instructions and codes
2. Go to the Cable and Sat company's Support - Chat or email
3. Call the Cable and Sat company's support phone number and speak to tech support
4. Have a tech come to the home/office to program the remote for you. There may be a charge for this

Additionally, in the Cable or Satellite interface - go to - menu > settings > HDMI CEC, make sure HDMI CEC is turned on. HDMI CEC enables the SAT or CBL button on their remote to power on your TV and change inputs.

If you would like to improve your TV experience a little more, read on:

Cable and Satellite receivers get periodic Firmware updates through their connection medium (cable, sat signal, phone line, etc.), but TV's don't, unless they are Smart TV's which are connected to a network and there is an auto-update function. Updating the Firmware on your TV can help a variety of issues, which may include connections. This update might help the Cable and Sat remotes more accurately control the TV. If you had previously used a generic code for your brand of TV with your Cable or Sat remote, you can now try reprogramming your remote with more recent updated codes.

Contact your TV's Manufacturer for more information on updating Firmware using one the 4 steps listed above. For more complete information, I would go to the Manufacturer's website and download a PDF version of the user manual, also the Tech or Admin manual, if available.

Search/Google Tom's Hardware and other websites for codes too, as I've occasionally found better code numbers than what the Cable and Sat websites offer. Tom's Hardware members can help with Firmware questions too.