My tv is connected to a receiver via optical cable but no sound on my surround sound

Rick McCall

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015
My JVC TV is connected via HDMI cable to a Comcast box. I have an optical cable connected from the TV to a JVC audio receiver - but unable to receive any sound from my surround sound and each speaker is wired to the receiver. I can however receive sound with fm?

Solution
On most surround receivers you have to either use the input setup menu to assign the optical digital input or use a button on the receiver to set the optical input as the one you want to use with the input you are one.
Also check the TV audio menu to make sure that the output is compatible with the receiver.
Is your TV set to output sound via the optical jack? Are use using PCM or RAW output? does your receiver allow PCM or RAW or what you are outputting? Is optical enabled in the receiver.

What receiver model and what TV model. Need more info.

On most surround receivers you have to either use the input setup menu to assign the optical digital input or use a button on the receiver to set the optical input as the one you want to use with the input you are one.
Also check the TV audio menu to make sure that the output is compatible with the receiver.

Solution