My Windows 7 laptop seems to boot up to Windows - - I can hear the Windows jingle, however, screen remains "black" with NO Cur

zichichv

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Windows 7 Black screen w/o cursor. I tried to boot from a Windows 7 repair disk, same result. Tried to press F8 and get to Safe Mode - - just get a beeping sound. PC was working when I did my taxes, so I assume the IRS has something to do with it::pt1cable:

IRS? - - very unlikely.

First connect an external monitor - if that works okay, read on.

Look closely at the screen while laptop is running. Shine a torch on it while you look. If you can see a faint image it means the screens backlight has blown so you need to get it (the backlight) replaced.

Using IRS website just before it happened would have been just a coincidence.

zichichv

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Thank you, Phillip. Wanted to provide further info> Have checked the screen with a flashlight, but don't see a thing; no fait image. I tried removing the battery and then connecting the power cord and I couldn't get power? - - then, reseated the battery with the power cord an I got power but no image. Opened the back and removed and reinstalled each memory card separately, still nothing. Booted from the battery alone and it seemed to also work, but no screen image. Tried booting from a Windows 7 recovery disk, same result. Laptop was working fine prior...

zichichv

Commendable
May 21, 2016
I attached an external monitor and low-and-behold, both monitors worked! Is there anything I should do to "try" and make sure this does not happen again? I did try to update the driver, but it seems I have the latest one..