narrowed down to nexus 7 or dell venue, use windows 8.1 at home. not a gamer, need tablet for college notes ect. any advice is

oldlady54

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014
Looking for a small tablet I can take to school for notes and web browsing and since I use windows 8.1 at home am leaning to the dell venue 8, but really like the look and great reviews of the nexus 7. Will need to add keyboard to either as prefer typing notes, also would like to buy a reconfigured tablet to save on $$ since on a fixed budget, I am a 60 year old college student.
thanks for any advice
Cheryl

Solution
@Cheryl, for Pete's sake - why this "oldlady54"? You're not old!!!

As for tablets: The Nexus is Android-based device, and as such, it supports different software. If you're used to Microsoft Office (and can get one for the Venue), stick with the Dell. You will find later on you probably need other applications as well, and most of these (at least for college use) are more easily available on Windows platform.

Another issue: 7 inches (even 8) are too small for note taking - it will involve a lot of scrolling back and forth. If your sight is not close to perfect, you might have troubles reading it.

Last but not least: Nexus 7 is about $200. Add a keyboard, and it will become $250. You can get a 15" laptop for these money, Windows 8 and...

oldlady54

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014

@Cheryl, for Pete's sake - why this "oldlady54"? You're not old!!!

As for tablets: The Nexus is Android-based device, and as such, it supports different software. If you're used to Microsoft Office (and can get one for the Venue), stick with the Dell. You will find later on you probably need other applications as well, and most of these (at least for college use) are more easily available on Windows platform.

Another issue: 7 inches (even 8) are too small for note taking - it will involve a lot of scrolling back and forth. If your sight is not close to perfect, you might have troubles reading it.

Last but not least: Nexus 7 is about $200. Add a keyboard, and it will become $250. You can get a 15" laptop for these money, Windows 8 and keyboard and all. It won't be touch laptop, but I don't think you will need one.

Solution

oldlady54

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014
velo3100, that helps, one thing though as I will be trying to find refurbished models of either tablet to fit my budget, is that going to make a big difference for me? I see several Nexus 7's in that condition on eBay and amazon but not many of the Venue's.
Also your comment on if I would need "up to date apps" to go with the Nexus can Dell/Windows be relied on to send out updates?
I really wish the Androids would run Adobe flash..................

oldlady54

Estimable
Aug 5, 2014
Thanks, I actually have a laptop but with the books and all its just too much to juggle back and forth to class. That's why I'm going with the smaller size tablet (and trying to save $$ of course). My thought on note taking is that I could take a picture of the board at the end of class and then work it out later. One of the students spring term did that and it looked like a real viable solution.

Don't think I would like a pen of any sort to write with, just another thing to try and keep hold of but that brings up the question of a keyboard. Has anyone much experience with attaching keyboards to the Venue 8? I'd hate to get one here only to find out I still need a slew of other add on's to get a real keyboard experience. Do both Nexus and Venue have the ability to dock and what is needed besides the actual keyboard to make one work? I know and have read about Bluetooth capability but have no real experience with one.

School is still something like 6 weeks away but I would like to make a purchase earlier so I can get used to using the tablet before hand. A larger tab would really be preferable but simply can't afford one even at refurbished prices, also haven't researched the larger ones much either.

I read a lot of books and PDF's so do hope the ability to read will be a good one and that may be something the Nexus is better at providing. I looked into the Amazon Kindle's but don't like to be tied in to just their products.

Hey I read that a person could load the Android system onto a windows tablet, is that true? and if so, how much of a benefit would that be??

Love the site here and the experienced community helping me out.
Cheryl

Unfortunately I can't say how reliable the updates for the dell is as I don't have one. To find deals you could check http://www.studentstore.co.uk/ assuming your collage or school is eligible. If that doesn't seem right you can always try american sites like dealnews or from the uk hotUkdeals and search for both models there to find a cheaper one than ebay.

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

I would just get a Nexus 7 off of Amazon.

ktrvrn

Estimable
May 4, 2015
Best wishes to you. I am so motivated by the amt of work you are putting into your life and hope everything has been going well for you. I have to say, w picture quality and all, I would get a decent smart phone preferably android, in my opinion. I have the Note 4, and find it is a great phone for getting the really sharp c details where picture quality is concerned. I can write notes easily on pics w the s pen. Although , some say an s pen bbq isn't necessary, ::) find it sou helpful. I have carpal tunnel and hands. Even just swype keyboard v is sou much faster when I used my pen. Now w all that being said, I absolutely loved my samsung tab 4 10.1 inch tablet. Easy you share data w Windows 8.1 through one drive. Gotta love my roku 3 as well for viewing It on my tv. Actually lost my tablet and can't stand it! Oh,BTW,a bluetooth headset device is great a must have for talking on the phone and careying a bunch of stuff. Thanks for motivating me to get moving and get my master's degree or maybe nust another degree. Might as well, since I have the devices??? :) Never know what could happen next wk, month or year from now. Take care .pls let us know what you decided.