Nasty virus installing Firefox and Chrome

FaleoMD

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
Any tips to get rid off virus that keeps on installing Firefox and Chrome about every two days? It also changes my home page and search engine and there are mysterious folders in my program files folder. My windows defender keeps on shutting down too.

Nate_K

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
Well, not to come off rude or degrading but you might want to start with some real anti-virus software. Windows defender simply doesn't cut it, Period. There are free versions of Bitdefender, Avira, Avast and more but I would choose either Bitdefender or Avira due to their track records on detection. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is your next piece of software. Install both, run malwarebytes after they are both installed. You can save yourself some time by running just malwarebytes after you install them both because as mbam scans files, if it doesn't recognize something avira will and will trigger a removal window.

schwatzz

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Run a full scan and make sure "scan for rootkits" is enabled. Make sure you change all of your passwords for banking and email too.

FaleoMD

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
I have bad experiences of using that Malwarebytes. Once I did run it my Windows logging didin't work anymore and all my licences, saves etc. disappeared. I made lots of lots work to edit registry information to make that work again.

rgd1101

Don't

How often do you get virus/malware? sound like you have a bigger issue then this.

EvilHamster

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I have used Malewarebytes very often, and never had any issues. They seem to be one of the most reputable anti-virues/anti-maleware companies out there. Per chance you did not download the real malewarebytes? If you download it form a 3rd party site, chances are that they will put a virus in the executable.
But if you dont trust malewarebytes, try avast or bitdefender or any other free reputable AV software. Also, make a bootable DVD/USB of an AV on a clean PC and use that. If you can't/don't want to, at least run it in safe mode.

Also, there is ad-aware. It used to be my goto software when it came to adware. But for some reason (I forgot why), I no longer use it. Others might be able to comment how reputable they still are.

BTW: whenever installing these software, install them slowly, with custom install. Make sure you dont allow it to install additionall software. Sometimes its hard to see, sometimes they say things like "Added protection with life -scan -garbage" etc, which is already ticked `yes'.
You do NOT want these software. They are trash. If they were not trash, they would not need to do things like that. So, in case of doubt, always untick everything. If the Software does not install, or does not work as it should be, you can always uninstall and reinstall. Getting rid of the trash usually takes more effort. (though not too much).

FaleoMD

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
I did run that Malwarebytes and it put about 3000+ threats to quarantine. Now I have big problem, because Windows won't start. I only get spinning circle put nothing happens. I tried to start Windows in safe mode, but only black screen appears.

Any tips how to continue?

EvilHamster

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
before you go that route. Have you tried repairing the OS?

I would recommend a repair disk and a new windows disk. Start with the repair disk. If it will not be able to repair the OS in a simple manner, it will ask for the installation disk. It will than copy necessary files from the disk and hopefully it should work out. Your documents *should* be unaffected (but of course I can not give any guarantees on that).

If you are unsure how to do it, there are many websites explaining it i detail. If you are still not sure, post here again and I will explain it in more detail.

Cheers.

FaleoMD

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014

I've never done anything like that. I will be happy to take advice.

EvilHamster

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Have you tried any of the guides (text, video). There are tons of guides.

It has been a while since I did this sort of thing, so I might be a bit foggy on the details. I would recommend you look at one of these guides.

However, if you prefer to do it on the forum, we can give it a shot.

Note that, be very very careful. I take no responsibility for any lost data etc.

There are a few questions:

What is your OS (Windows 7, Windows 8.x, Windows 10?). My main OS is Windows 7, so if you use 10, many things are similar, but some details might differ.
Do you have a DVD drive?
Do you have a recovery DVD?
Do you have a clean install copy of your OS?

The actual guide would be as follows.
Lets try the simplest stuff first.
1. Have you tried the inbuilt repair option?
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zkvlcnv-UU&ab_channel=Britec09 guide for Windows 10.] Do not reset! (at least not yet).
2. Do you have system backup (not image) points, that you could go back to? I don't remember, but they might be on by default. I believe 10% of the main partition is for recovery by default.
3. (maybe 4. is easier?) If you have a recovery DVD for your OS, pop it in and boot up the PC. If you do not have it, you will need to download the recovery DVD from Microsoft with that OS version that you have. If you have an other PC with the same version of the OS, you can use that one to make a recovery Disk. If not, you can try to find one that is as close as you can to your OS (i.e. if you have Win 7 Sp1, try to find a Win7 Sp1). Make sure that its the correct bus. I.e. x64 (64-bit) or x86 (32-bit). I think windows 10 is only 64 bit. Than, burn it to a DVD if you have a DVD drive or make a bootable USB. I don't remember all the options there. Have a look and if you get stuck and can not find info on the web, come back here with a detailed list of options etc.
4. This might be easier than step 3. YOU WILL NEED YOUR ACTIVATION KEY. Make sure you can get it. Dont do this if you can not get your activation key!. Also, make backups if you can at all. Cloning the HDD for example.
Pop in the windows installation DVD (or bootable USB with installation ISO). Than do a repair install. NOT! custom install. Basically, if at any point it ask you to format your drive, or warns you that your data will be lost, you are in the wrong section and you should stop what you are doing.
See for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC_5eb9wTfk&ab_channel=Britec09 This is for windows 7. But the same idea work for windows 10.

If you do not have the installation ISO, you will need to get it. You can get it from Microsoft's own website.

I wrote a lot, and not very clearly either.
Basically, give us more info and try a few of the easier steps. Than, we can talk a bit more in detail.

Cheers.

FaleoMD

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014

I have Win 10 updated from Win 7. I don't have any Windows CD/DVD. Inpuilt repair didn't work.

EvilHamster

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Download the windows 10 iso. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 for example, but that is for en-gb. if you are in say us, try the us version. Anyway, might be easiest to just use a search engine and type "download windows 10 iso".

When you have the iso, burn it to a dvd or make a bootable usb stick. After which, try to repair it using the windows 10 installation dvd/usb. See step 4. AGAIN! BE CAREFUL 1. not to format your current windows installation (unless you are ok with loosing every file on the computer). 2. to have your installation key. 3. make BACKUPS. Always make backups.

Cheers.

EvilHamster

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Is there no key under `system', when you scroll down?

You can probably call Microsofts help line (make sure its not a scam site, look for the official one. The site should end with [...].microsoft.com) and explain it to them. Since upgrades are so commonplace, they will most likely give you a way of obtaining an ISO for a repair install.

Can I ask you if you tried downloading the media-creation tool at the link (in my previous post)? At what point does it ask for the licence?

If it does not (it might only ask if you choose fresh install), MAKE A SYSTEM IMAGE BACKUP! (not just back, but system image) and try the repair install.

People who are more experts on Windows 10 might be able to give you more advice. I suggest you create a new thread where you ask in the Windows 10 section, how to do a repair install and keep all your files[\b]. Make sure you specify that you want to keep your files, since someone might just recommend reinstalling the OS.

Cheers.

USAFRet

Illustrious

'keep all your files' is where this infection came from.

Personally, if a family member came to me with a PC in which Malwarebytes showed 3,000 items to quarantine....nuke it and start over. No question, no discussion.

No repair, no fixing, no backup of that current stuff....wipe it completely, and reinstall from known good media.

And for a reinstall like this, no license key is needed. Skip it during the install.
It will activate itself once it goes online.

FaleoMD

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014

I have now that downloaded Windows 10 iso in USB stick. Do I have to boot computer with it?

FaleoMD

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
I've been trying to get this to work, but with poor results. I made install usb with Mac using bootcamp, but nothing happens when I insert it to my PC. Only blinking cursor on screen.