Native resolution extends beyond TV screen

heylarson

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I am setting up my first HTPC and everything (so far) has been great. The biggest issue right now is that my Proscan 32LB30Q flat panel television is cutting off the edges of the display. According to manual, the native resolution is supposed to be 1366 x 768, and in the Windows 7 resolution setting, it recommends the 1360 x 768 resolution (close enough), but there is more than just a mere 6 pixels missing. I had a bit of the same issue with my Sony Bravia 32", but at least that TV had controls for adjusting the display. From what I can tell, this does not. Anyone else have any other ideas? I appreciate it.

heylarson

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for that article! I will check out that Powerstrip software and see if I can tinker with the resolutions. I will probably have to mess with the Aspect Ratio settings of the TV; it currently has Normal/Zoom/Wide and Cinema.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
ouch, yeah mine has those options as well but also provides a "just scan" option which does just that, just scans and displays the picture with no processing.

Possibly "normal" is their version of "just scan" but I have a feeling some sort of processing is attached to the "normal" setting so yeah, you might have to get a little creative in your display settings.

Good luck!

heylarson

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
one other thing i noticed after i downloaded this TV's manual is that if i switch to the VGA input, apparently options for adjusting the h/v position on the screen make themselves available. however, i am using the hdmi input whose menu options don't include h/v position options. lame.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
yeah, that comes down to the difference between analog and digital....the VGA connection is analog and requires a sync signal whereas the digital, comprised of simply 1's and 0's doesn't need that ability.

Kinda like how a CD player (digital) differs from a record player (analog) if that makes any sense at all to you.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

Granted, I am a bit on the old school side but back in the day when we had to power our systems like the flintsones (with electric eels) ALL digital data was converted to binary (ones and zeroes)....

Digital Signal:
A way of sending voice, video, or data that reconstructs the signals using binary codes (1s and 0s) for transmission through wire, fiber optic cable, videoconference, or over air techniques. Digital audio/video signals represented by discrete variations (in voltage, frequency, amplitude, location, etc.) can be transmitted faster and more accurately than analog signals.

I am by no means a programmer or guru of any sort but I believe the basic premise is still valid here in the year 2010.

heylarson

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
i guess my sarcasm doesn't translate well in forums. anyways, thanks for explaining the difference between a CD player and a record player. i can't believe that in all my years of programming and undergraduate CS studies the difference was never made clear.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

No, your sarcasm did not translate well and I apologize for taking your comment at face value. That is no excuse however for proceeding to be boastful and condescending. Your first question indicated you to have, how shall I put this, an average level of intelligence....yes, that sounds about right. It was only natural for me to assume your follow up question was of a similar, simplistic nature. I didn't realize you were so learned :sarcastic:

Alternate Title: Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

heylarson

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Let me begin by thanking you for your input on this topic. Second, I want to thank you for giving me a good laugh. My sarcasm and credentials obviously struck a nerve with you and your fragile self esteem. It's safe to assume that your ranter is no longer needed on this topic and you're now free to educate other "average intelligence" users with your expanse of super intelligence. rock on.