Need a digital adapter (?!) for Time Warner Cable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chumba-wumba

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hi everyone. Newbie here.

TWC is now requiring that every TV in my home has a digital adapter or a set-top box, if I want to watch certain channels like CNBC. Their pitch is that they're converting certain channels from analog to digital. The research I've done on this (on this site and elsewhere) seems to indicate that in fact it's to prevent people stealing cable and/or to drive additional revenue through the sales of adapters/boxes.

I called TWC and they say that I can use a 3rd-party digital adapter, however they refuse to give me any information on brands/models/functions of such an adapter. From searching around on the internet I haven't been able to figure out what exactly I need to buy. Can anyone suggest a digital adapter that would work in this scenario?

Also, I've never streamed video from my cable box before (I do rent one). This may be another option instead of getting an adapter. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on video streaming? Is the video quality up to snuff and do you get buffering/lag time issues? I basically have CNBC running all the time, so I need a robust solution.

fyi... I truly despise Time Warner (yet another money-sucking vampire squid) which is why I'm going out of my way to figure out my other options....

Many thanks for your help!

Honeycomb888

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
People wonder about options, when the cable company decides to screw you over by requiring a digital box (adapter or converter or whatever) to be leased from them. The cable company is apparently intentionally scrambling the signals, if your tv has a digital tuner but you can't get the stations. The obvious solution, but the harshest one for most, is to cut the cord. Drop cable. Get that monkey off your back. Get or keep a good internet connection and stream, subscribing to Netflex and Amazon Prime & Hulu, whatever. A Roku gets you TONS of free movies. You can see some cable shows, or parts of them, on the internet. Get a digital antenna, if you live in a large enough city, and you will get free, crystal clear pictures of local stations (they will be HD, if they are broadcast in HD).

I cut the cord. After a period of adjustment, I came to love it. The freedom is wonderful. I live in a large city and get about 18 good stations locally (all themajor networks, some movie stations, etc.). I also got a Roku for each tv, and subscribe to Netflix & Amazon Prime. That costs about $19 a month. I miss a couple of the cable stations, but not as much as I thought I would. I've changed my viewing habits & love what I get. I especially love not having to pay a cable bill and getting that monkey off my back.

The stations you ARE seeing without an adapter, for those of you can get a few stations, are the OTA (over the air) local stations coming from towers in your area. You don't need cable to receive those, if you get a good digital antenna and if you live in an area with some decent tv towers.

For the person way above who wanted to know about streaming....streaming is through your internet connection. You don't need cable or satellite tv to stream.

One perk with digital antenna OTA tv is that the picture is clearer than cable or satellite. That's because the signals are compressed for cable/satellite, while digital antennas give you the full signal.

To the poster above who was wondering about DirecTV satellite, I switched from cable to DirecTV YEARS ago, and was much happier with DirecTV. It's a good company. It's bills were always accurate, the customer service excellent, and weather interruptions minimal. The picture, to me, was not quite as clear as with cable, but that was okay, given the decreased cost and less being screwed over by the company. But finally I decided to quit paying a fee for a bunch of stations I don't watch. If I move and can't get OTA stations, I would consider going back to DirecTV. Never cable again, if I can possibly help it. It's a ripoff.

Next up: Dropping the landline and going to VOIP.

jtherrault

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014

FCC regulation allow individuals to purchase their own set top boxes and several sources exist to do this. However, you might still be required to rent a cable card but this is a fraction of what the set top box rates are.

I would avoid most of the boxes on eBay as many are stolen etc. There are legitimate‎ sources out there so just do a thorough Google search. I would provide a link to one but but I'm not sure that this is permitted under the rules here.

English Bob

Estimable
Dec 13, 2014
the $1.50 adapter is a piece of <Mod Edit> AND you cannot get premium channel ( SHO etc) with the box- you need the big cable adapter box- it rents for over $11/mo.

and no you cannot buy an adapter box ( I would like to) but cannot find one that will work..T wille ncrypt their signal so that you MUST use their equipment to see the channels. otherwise you get snow.

so do the math say $140 /mo x 10 yrs=$16800- a nice piece of change to watch mostly basic cable + internet+ phone...20 yrs = over $33000

Sup3r52man

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014
I just recently lost these channels. 4.1 etc. All my channels that used to show up are now black. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Happened 12/16/2014. Did something change with the signal being sent by time warner?

jtherrault

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014

Chiefan

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

Get smart and get Direct TV.

fightingirish

Estimable
Dec 30, 2014

I had the same thing happen to me. I was receiving all OTA channels till 12/10/14 and dont get any now. I was only paying for TWC internet. Not sure if they have started scrambling these channels as well. I am in the LA area. Anyone else have the same problem?

jessgirl

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
So does this mean they can charge customers less for channels??? That would be freaking nice. My oldest TV set was purchased in 2010 will I still need a converter. It already picks up digital channels but I don't have certain channels I had before. Well I don't know where any of my channels are now. Dang

jtherrault

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014

Once they complete the changeover, all tv's will require a converter as they have finally accomplished building the ultimate filter to prevent basic being free for internet subscribers only by scrambling everything...

mwangkc

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
Looks like the TWC adapter box has HDMI out to deliver HD content to the TV. Previously, except for the QAM channels, only SD signals were passing through. If so, this is a win to avoid a pricey cable box to deliver HD cable content to a secondary home TV, no?

Spockearss

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
Not only did TW change the one year free to the end of December in mid stream. But they also raised the rate in mid January from the $1.50 to $2.75 a month, almost doubled right away. They also raised the fee for the modems (which I was told would be free as well as two other lies when I first signed up).

The answer that Honeycomb888 on September 27, 2014 was the best answer yet. If a large chunk of us can do this then TW and other TV providers might get the hint.

Years (OK decades ago) someone went to the FCC and convinced them to to make it so the cable (not sure if we had satellite yet.) was not allowed to charge rent on the remote controls any more ($1.50). They charge rent on the boxes and the remote should be in that charge. I think that at least one box (Possibly two since most houses have more then one) should be in the price of the service. If you have more TV's then that then you can rent boxes for the TV's you need. It isn't hard to get cable and run it from one room to the other so you can hook up other TV's to the one cable box.

I need to look more into Netflix and Hulu on whether they carry the channels I watch. Unfortunately I am in a small valley and so far all of the antennas say I can't use them. And the wind is so hard several days of the month that it tends to knock the satellite off a bit that it has to be realigned.

kslibra

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
The government started this ridiculous scheme with requiring digital only and not forcing the cable companies to continue the status quo with free cable for those TVs without boxes. TWC really does suck on cable box charges. Everyone else gives the first DVR box free but not TWC. So what if you get the adapter free .... they will make you pay later. $3 for a handful of channels or $12 to access all...doesn't that seem like a gateway drug?!?!?

nicholass817

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I've been using a Ceton Tuner setup for about 3 or 4 years (first got one in beta and can't remember exactly how long ago that was) pretty nice getting all HD channels and whole home DVR functionality while only paying $2.50/month for equipment...drawbacks are that I spent a few hundred building a PC, another couple hundred for the Ceton (x2 = 8 to 12 tuners), ~$200 per television (x6) for a basic Xbox 360 or Ceton Echo, and have to troubleshoot the system myself when issues arise...only recently got it stable enough to not PO the wife. Oh and I don't get on demand, but most of what I want on demand is provided by TWC via streaming services.

This all digital initiative shouldn't affect us at all.

If you like to tinker at all it is worth it to look up Ceton or HDHR Prime. I can't say it will save you money (it has for me...economies of scale), but it will keep it out of the TWC pot.

masked_uid

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
Just had long (and irritating) chats w/ multiple support folks at TWC. They won't answer my technical questions directly, but here is what I gather. The digital adapters are far more than digital-to-analog converters. They are also descrambler / decrypter w/ hard-coded information in the hardware (so 3rd party adapters probably won't work w/ TWC). Their roll-out makes multi-tuner Tivos useless, unless you rent the TWC DVR. Tivo direct DVRs have multiple tuners (up to 8 I think) but only 1 co-ax input & 1 co-ax output to the TV. TWC support confirmed I could only accomplish what I have today (no cable box, no cablecard) by renting their DVR. This would also mean that TWC's roll-out would make PiP not work either if only have 1 co-ax input, as well as anything else that lets you watch 1 channel & record / watch another.

Whole house distribution of cable to multiple rooms also might not work, unless splitter handles the digital signal well.

I fully understand the need to migration to digital from analog, but TWC is locking customers into TWC hardware & not offering purchase options (i.e. digital adapters, TWC compatible DVR, etc.). Looks like they want the recurring revenue from customers ($ each & every month, even if the equipment has been paid for several times over).

Predict their conversion & approach to dealing w/ (long time loyal customers' ) questions will only lead to their needing to merge w/ other company faster due to losing customers to Google, sat, streaming services.

avsfan

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015
I'm getting a Chromecast to direct stream all I watch and cutting the cord. I, too, get the main stations because I live in a large city and I refuse to owned by cable companies. I have Google Fiber internet so the quality and speed of IP will not be an issue.

cluelessidiot

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015

New member here, just coming down from a panic attack after reading this thread.

I must confess I am one of "those people" selling these boxes on eBay. I actually JUST sold them and now after reading this thread, I'm freaking out. Please allow me to explain.

Two (possibly 3) years ago, I received 5 of these boxes on my doorstep - a week after cancelling my TW. I had opened one and plugged it in but did not work. It displayed "searching for channels", and seemingly found none. Regardless, I love electronics and thought they were cool. If nothing else, FREE HDMI cords! I put it back in the box (minus the HDMI cord that I have I have been needing for a computer), set them in my basement, and there they sat the past couple years.

Fast forward 2 (possibly 3) years and here I am invited to an out of town wedding. Me, having virtually no money to travel with, I turned to eBay to raise some bucks to be able to attend this event. I listed a handful of items: old boots, toys, a baseball glove, and continued on searching my basement for more crap to sell. Not much left: rusty tools, fishing poles, broken bicycles, and then I picked up one of these converters. I searched it on eBay, and WOW! $35-70 each.

So I listed them, and they sold. Four boxes at $50 each.

Upon returning (about a week ago), I received an email from a telecom company employee whose company had ordered one of these boxes asking about tracking for the box. I replied apologizing and hoping they received tracking info (they did) and thanked them for contacting me. I had wanted SO badly (not that it would have mattered at this point) to ask what a telecom company could use one of these boxes for, but I figured it was none of my business and refrained.

I didn't sell one box, the one that I used the HDMI cord from. I was just about to put it on eBay before I decided to see if it had a cool use other than analog to digital conversion. So here I am, googling the purpose of these stupid boxes and found this thread. I'm about a month too late. I've drank two beers during the typing of this post and have calmed down a but I am legitimately worried.

Despite not knowing why I received them from TW, I REALLY did not think that they weren't mine to keep . Call me stupid, but I recieved them immediately after cancelling my service. There wasn't any information about leasing them for a PER MONTH charge two years later. Honestly, I almost regret looking this up. Ignorance truly is bliss because now I am worried.

Apparently I misunderstood what these things are. Around the time I received these from TW there was widely advertised government rebate program for analog to digital signal converters for old TVs, and I thought that's what these were. For some reason I thought TW was giving these things out possibly taking advantage of government incentive or something. I honestly thought thats what these were until about an hour ago. :??:

What am I supposed to do now? I cant email these people "whoops sorry I wasnt supposed to sell those". Am I going to start getting bills? Am I going to end up in court? Should I contact TW? (honestly I'm afraid) Should I email the seemingly cordial telecom employee that purchased one? I want to die right now.

The time period I received these the last thing I was worried about was why TW was sending me "free" stuff. Nothing in life is free and I should know better, but things really shouldn't be so deceptive. I'm very upset and likely will continue with my self loathing until I know how much trouble I'm in for trying to "make a quick buck". :vomi:

Mod Edited for language

@cluelessidiot,

1) Watch the language please. I know you're nervous, but this *is* a family site.
2) You can relax. If Time Warner or any cable company were going to pursue the issue of illegally selling their set top boxes you wouldn't still see them on auction sites like E-Bay or Craigslist.
3) I have no idea why these boxes suddenly appeared on your doorstep. In my opinion, no cable company is going to simply deliver a bunch of equipment and leave it at your door without having you sign for it.

To expand on point #3, though, there *may* have been some sort of agreement between the government and cable TV providers in which if you cancelled your cable subscription during a certain time frame, the cable company would provide you with a number of DTAs (and the cable companies would be reimbursed). This would be the only legitimate reason I can think of that TW would deliver DTAs to your home without you having to sign for them and *IF* this is the case, then you have nothing to worry about.

-Wolf sends

cluelessidiot

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015

Sorry for the language.

I no longer think these were part of the gov't incentive program. After reading last night, these are not analog-to-digital converters for over the air, they are analog-to-digital converters for cable. There is no input for antenna, only coax.

So the IF is gone I'm pretty sure. I'm worried that these boxes are attatched to my name and i'm going to start getting charged for someone elses usage. Why werent these requested to be returned, and what other product in this world is free for 3 years before a lease situation starts? Everything about this is extremely unsettling.

A quick Google search on "Digital Tuner Boxes". Here is the first result I clicked on. You'll note from the rear image that it also has coaxial input/output. And yes, some OTA antenna do have coaxial connectors.

Again, if they were from TWC and they expected you to pay the lease fees, then they wouldn't have left them for you unsigned. I wouldn't worry about it.

-Wolf sends

Idontknown

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
I have basic cable in my bedroom. Does anyone know if I have the adapter wiil I be able to get those channels in hd? If so I can take my hd box back and just basic in the front room also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS