Need a headset or headphone

spledang

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I like to game but I also like to edit in Final Cut X, Adobe Premiere, and Pro Tools.

My main purpose is for good sound and if I can get a headset with a mic then PERFECT, but I don't want to spend too much. I'm looking for something to buy in the $50-100 area. My professor recommends

SONY MDR 7506
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E

and

another friend who games competitively recommends these

SENNHEISER 280 PRO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328

problem is these two listed above dont provide a mic which i don't necessarilly need, but would be nice since my friends are constantly complaining about how bad my webcam mic audio is on skype lol.

If i get a gaming headset with a mic I was thinking

SIBERIA V2 steel series - looks nice, based on reviews they are light, but audio isn't too great go editing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249083

or

I believe these are a newer version of g35s?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104399

Obviously if I could get one headset for gaming and another editing that would be ideal... I don't have the money on me though.

Overall, I want better audio quality over a mic, but if I can get both for a decent price i'll do that. Any help or opinions welcomed and thanks in advance.

Solution
Well that gaming headset is definitely going to suck more than the other two options. The 7506 is good and will be suitable for video editing, but not ideal for gaming.

The m50s are not worth paying more for imho if your using it just for gaming. I would recommend the Audio Technica AD700 which although discontinued, can still be found around 100-110 dollars. The sound stage is mind blowingly accurate (for the price, mind you) when used in a good audio set up. It definitely is no fun, but instead sounds analytic which is nice for gaming.
you can also mic mod the ad700

if you want to stay within your budget, how about some skullcandys? They have come a LOOONG way from their crap sounding headphones. The SLYR is not bad, and is...
personally i would suggest getting a pair of ath-m50s and then putting a modmic on them. its going to break your budget by a bit but you would have really good sound with the mic you want. you can get the ath-m50s on ebay open box (but brand new) for about $99 and modmics are like $20

spledang

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. I might actually go with that idea. I really want one of the two headphones I listed, but I'm not exactly what mics are good separately. Anyone know a list of mics people usually use with headphones other than the modmic?

thederpiest

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Well that gaming headset is definitely going to suck more than the other two options. The 7506 is good and will be suitable for video editing, but not ideal for gaming.

The m50s are not worth paying more for imho if your using it just for gaming. I would recommend the Audio Technica AD700 which although discontinued, can still be found around 100-110 dollars. The sound stage is mind blowingly accurate (for the price, mind you) when used in a good audio set up. It definitely is no fun, but instead sounds analytic which is nice for gaming.
you can also mic mod the ad700

if you want to stay within your budget, how about some skullcandys? They have come a LOOONG way from their crap sounding headphones. The SLYR is not bad, and is probably the best gaming headset in your budget, surprisingly.

EDIT:
Also, although these are not great for video editing and gaming may I suggest the Koss ProDJ 100?
Despite their name they are not super-duper bass heavy like a lot of DJ headphones. (although for some say the prodj 100s need a little burn in before they become less bassy)
They are not great at anything, but do not let that fool you, for they are good budget all-arounders. They have very good build quality, and come with a life time warranty.

Solution

spledang

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Tried on the Logitech 430 and I like the cotton headset. I didn't think it would be something I prefer over the imitation leather most headsets use but it was nice. As for Skullcandy SLYR, reviews say the mic is whatever and the audio is not natural and bassy (not something I want really) plus the wires are ridiculously long (I'd prefer something short). AD700s I would assume are alot nicer in audio, but cost twice my budget too =P. Koss ProDJ 100 seem nice for 40 but would have to look into them before getting. THanks for suggestions. As of now, it seems like I'll have to at least spend 80-100 if I go for a headset. Headphones+mic I still need to do more research as to what the best mic I can go for to make a my decision on a pair of headphones.

thederpiest

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

From what I read (I dont own any gaming headsets), the "precision mode" (less bassy eq setting) on the SLYR tones down the bass to enjoyable level, but the long cable may still be annoying.
Anyways, good luck with finding the perfect headphones/headset!
I cant really think of anything else to suggest. D: