Solved! Need advice on cheapest solution for malfunctioning Samsung

maisybo

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I've been an AT&T customer for 25 years.
My 2 year old Samsung Galaxy phone stopped working in Oct 2016; the touchscreen wouldn't do anything. The warranty had expired, & I've never thought adding insurance to my account was worth it. To have the phone fixed was over $100-$150. So I got another Samsung phone; Galaxy J3. Since I'm disabled & my only income is Social Security, I'm paying $9/month for 30 months on AT&T's plan; I have to have a phone & I couldn't figure out another inexpensive way to get one.
In Nov 2017 one month after the warranty expired, the J3's screen keeps flickering & turning a solid yellowish color, obscuring everything on the screen. I still owe $120 or so on the phone, so of course AT&T said I'll have to finish paying for the phone. They didn't offer any suggestions or solutions other than paying full price for a new phone, the cheapest of which is over $200, & I simply can't afford that. I don't trust Samsung phones anymore.
Can I buy an AT&T Go-Phone & just put my current SIM card in it?
What about an "unlocked" phone?
I've pretty much had it with AT&T & want to end my service with them once I pay off my now unusable phone.
I live in East Texas & there are several other carriers, both prepaid and the kind of account I have now where I pay in advance each month. The plan I have is unlimited talk & text with 1 gig of data for $55/month.
I do use a lot of talk & text but usually don't use the whole gig of data -- I check email & have light internet usage, but I'd like a phone I could still use the internet with easily. I'd also like to make sure I can text & receive pictures.
I'd really appreciate any suggestions for a different carrier, plan (prepaid or not) & phone that will fit my needs.
I need some kind of phone that's under $100-$150.
Can I get a phone with good features for that amount, or am I dreaming?
I know there are unlocked phones, refurbished phones, & Go-Phones/prepaid, but I have no idea which would be the best & most economical choice.
Thank you for any & all advice, information & suggestions.
Dana

Solution
Yes you can get an unlocked GSM phone and activate it on your AT&T account. No you can't get a "good" phone for $150 new, but you can get a used one. I bought my son a used Samsung S5 for about $100, been working fine for a while now.

The biggest difference between a good phone and a cheaper one is almost always in the screen and camera quality, along with the cheap phone using a decent but not nearly as good CPU/video chip. If you don't like Samsung, something like an iPhone 5s should be pretty cheap, or an LG G3 phone. This ZTE is great for the price...
Yes you can get an unlocked GSM phone and activate it on your AT&T account. No you can't get a "good" phone for $150 new, but you can get a used one. I bought my son a used Samsung S5 for about $100, been working fine for a while now.

The biggest difference between a good phone and a cheaper one is almost always in the screen and camera quality, along with the cheap phone using a decent but not nearly as good CPU/video chip. If you don't like Samsung, something like an iPhone 5s should be pretty cheap, or an LG G3 phone. This ZTE is great for the price https://www.amazon.com/ZTE-Blade-Factory-Unlocked-Phone/dp/B01N7IW7JX?SubscriptionId=AKIAIPHVZTVH6LZ5BFZA&tag=hawk-future-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01N7IW7JX&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ascsubtag=trd-2124583545-20

Keep in mind that lower end phones are very likely to have worse reliability than better phones.

Solution