Solved! Need alternative suggestions for DBAN to securely erase external hard drives

thrawn327

Great
Jun 11, 2018
I am trying to securely erase my external hard drive before I sell it. However, after buying two different copies of DBAN, I keep getting the "can't open proc cmdline" message. I am not too crazy with the idea of messing with my computer BIOS. I am not at this time planning to sell my computer, so I would appreciate a secure erase software that can securely wipe both internal and external hard drive discs, which are separate from the location of my operating system, from within Windows 10.

I would also appreciate suggestions for alternative secure erase software packages that are designed to work on Windows 10 which can be bootable from either a disc or USB stick when I get ready to replace my computer.

Thanks.

Solution
Hi

Dban is freeware so you should not be paying for it unless delivered on a usb memory stick

It is a linux iso to put on cd or usb

Most major hard disk manufacturers ( now only seagate, WD & Toshiba) make windows diagnostics programs which include erase data function

Usefull to run quick test to confirm no problems with continuing to use the disk

But to save time obtaining these programs
why not use the windows format and untick quick option

With Vista onwards this is fully destructive of any data

If this was a windows or internal disk with multiple partitions you can use disk management to remove all partitions, create one new partition filling the disk
Before formatting disk

The people who make dban also sell a advanced...

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Dban is freeware so you should not be paying for it unless delivered on a usb memory stick

It is a linux iso to put on cd or usb

Most major hard disk manufacturers ( now only seagate, WD & Toshiba) make windows diagnostics programs which include erase data function

Usefull to run quick test to confirm no problems with continuing to use the disk

But to save time obtaining these programs
why not use the windows format and untick quick option

With Vista onwards this is fully destructive of any data

If this was a windows or internal disk with multiple partitions you can use disk management to remove all partitions, create one new partition filling the disk
Before formatting disk

The people who make dban also sell a advanced version

Parted magic (linux image/ boot cd or usb)
Includes the ata erase disk function

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution
In agreement with @mbarnes86.

Make it all simple:

First erase all the files on the drive you wish to sell.

Then reformat the drive. Several times if you wish to do so.

Then apply DBAN to the drive as many times as you see fit.

Otherwise, if you are still that concerned about someone seeing/finding out what is on the drive, do not sell the drive.

Physically destroy the drive and send the various pieces directly to a recycling center at different times.