Need an opinion on how to fix white lines on LCD display

kmham

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Got this Dell as a warranty replacement to previous laptop that broke. This one is refurbished, but of course it broke too and just outside of the warranty period. The LCD will only show blinking white lines. But when I hook up an external TV monitor via an HDMI cable I can operate the laptop just fine.

Here's some details about the laptop:
Dell Inspiron 5559, Win 10, Intel I7, 1TB HDD, 15.6" Touch screen

Here's what I'm looking for...
Do you think I need to replace the entire screen? Or just check cables/connectors? I'm a novice so I need to know what needs replaced so I'm not guessing at parts:) (if possible).

If you can, please be very specific on how you'd recommend that I try fixing this.

Here's a link to a short video to show the screen:
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0Ts9-Jja8&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

Solution
If it shows fine on an external display, then you are correct it is either the ribbon cable that connects it or the display itself that is the problem.

The only way to know for sure is to open up the device and check.

First check the ribbon cable. Make sure there are no bent, dented, damaged, torn, pinched, etc parts. If none of that is noticeable, then try disconnecting it at both ends, then reconnecting it. If that doesn't resolve it, then you are at the parts replacement stage. You can start with just the cable or the display, either one, but if the cable isn't damaged and connected properly then I would lean towards it being the display.
If it shows fine on an external display, then you are correct it is either the ribbon cable that connects it or the display itself that is the problem.

The only way to know for sure is to open up the device and check.

First check the ribbon cable. Make sure there are no bent, dented, damaged, torn, pinched, etc parts. If none of that is noticeable, then try disconnecting it at both ends, then reconnecting it. If that doesn't resolve it, then you are at the parts replacement stage. You can start with just the cable or the display, either one, but if the cable isn't damaged and connected properly then I would lean towards it being the display.

Solution