Need feedback about MAC Book Pro

VinayakGH

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015
Hi All,
I want to purchase Mac book pro on Amazon which comes with Mavericks OS installed.
Specs about the device can be found here ,
http://

Will there be any problems if I install Yosemite OS and upgrade this to 8GB ?
Mainly I need this for my programming practice and iOS app development...
Please do let me know about it.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
That will run El Capitan just fine.
Pretty sure ram and HDD are upgradable, but as said, need a year/model #. 8Gb isn't essential on OSX. I've still got old Mini's running just fine on 2Gb for office stuff.
An SSD is a great upgrade. I've got a 128Gb SSD and 500Gb HDD in my 2010 MBP.

VinayakGH

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015

@mrmez: Thank you.. But will the system gets heated up more if we upgrade? Becuase I have heard that the system restarts itself and generates more heat

VinayakGH

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015

Ohh ok thank you,.. the doubt is that if I use for S/W development and for that if it is updated to the latest versions of OS and other applications, it shouldn't be a big problem and APPLE devices are made so that if the device becomes too older (3-4 yers after release), they will not support upcoming Apple's softwares

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Apple tends to keep OSX both lean and capable. They will prevent you from upgrading an older machine if it's too slow. A 2008 mini still in use won't go past Mavericks or so.

On the 2010 Mini, El Cap runs as fast and stable as any previous version. It doesn't feel any slower and doesn't run any hotter than Yosemite.
My 2010 MBP is the same. General clicking around feels as fast, maybe even faster. I haven't noticed any change in heat and power usage. Also feels just as fast and smooth as my 5k iMac.

Apple upgrades their software incrementally, with a focus on stability. Each new version is more of the same with usually minor improvements and additions, and since it's free these days, it's a no-brainer to upgrade.