Lookin4Info

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Hey everyone, I've wanted to get a new pair of headphones for a while now. Only thing is, I know absolutely nothing for the most part about headphones and sound. So I was hoping some of you knowledgeable people on here could help me. Currently I have a Logitech G35 headset which seems pretty decent, I don't have anything to compare it to really. My budget is max $100 USD. I play a lot of FPS games and such stuff like CS:GO, Battlefield, ect... I would assume I would definitely want surround sound for stuff like isolating footsteps and such. I recently replaced my microphone on my headset with a condenser microphone so I don't need a headset just headphones (what I use to power my microphone is just a 48v phantom power unit not an audio interface so I got nowhere to plug headphones into that just incase you needed to know). Definitely over ear. Something comfortable.

Thanks!

tgoods44

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I would take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT770. You can buy the OHM rating depending on whether or not you have an amp, but an excellent pair of cans. They are super light, comfy, sound amazing, and make everything pretty. I saw them on sale like 3 months ago for $130 ish. Not sure if you can still find that deal though. You could also go with different models in this line depending on whether you want open-back headphones. I have the 770's and 990s. I also have a pair of Audeze LCD-2, and AT ATHM50's headphones for reference.

If you can't get the 770s, I'd steer you towards the Audio Technica ATH M50s

Tyler

jmckinney28

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
Check out this thread on gaming audio. You could easily work something out on a budget, and it explains why gaming headsets are such a ripoff.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4nabvv/gaming_audio_and_you_why_995_of_gaming_headsets/?

m50 is not good for gaming due to small soundstage. sound quality is decent though.

for $100...
hd518 or hd558 if you want neutral
ad500x or ad700x if you want bass light and advantageous for fps

Lookin4Info

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Also I have an external USB soundcard SYBA external USB Stereo Sound Adapter Link would it be a bad idea to plug it into the jack on the external USB soundcard because it's a stereo soundcard?

you get the hd598 which is about the same as the 518/558 but better quality construction and a little more open sounding
and the dt770/dt990 when they are on sale which are great headphones but really need either a good soundcard or external amp
ad700x over the ad500x
vmoda makes some cans similar to the m50 but all metal

that is a junk soundcard and will do you no favors honestly. is this for a laptop? the fact that its stereo doesnt matter for headphones (headphones are only stereo). although it doesnt have virtual surround if that is what you meant. i'd be more worried about overall audio quality coming out of something so cheap.

Lookin4Info

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I just got it for my XLR microphone, I was told that plugging a microphone directly into a microphone jack on your computer makes it sound really crap and that using an external USB soundcard resolves the problem. (Told this by the YouTuber Podcastage). I've had no problems with the soundcard. So I should just plug the headphones into a headphone jack on my case or motherboard? Also do those headphones not have surround sound? I would definitely want surround sound for games.
It's a desktop here are my specs
CPU: i7-4790k
MOBO: Asrock Z97X Fatal1ty Killer
RAM: 16GB 1866Mhz
GPU: Sapphire AMD R9 390
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Thanks for your help.

jmckinney28

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

Surround sound is often emulated using software. There aren't many headphones that have multiple speakers within the ear cups. You can easily install software that will allow for "surround sound" like sounds for fps games.

no headphone has surround sound. you need to emulate it with software.

razer has free software but the one on creative or asus cards is better.

using usb over 3.5mm ... honestly it depends on the devices and your specific scenario and if you ever had an issue to begin with.

Lookin4Info

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
I'm thinking about getting the Sennheiser hd598. Some people have talked about AMPs for headphones would I NEED one if I got the hd598s? Also what type of benefits would I get using one? Also you said the virtual surround on creative and asus cards are better than the razer one, could you link a creative or asus card?
You guys have been a tremendous help. There will most likely be more questions to come. Thank you people for all the help!

xC00L

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Hello!

I would recommend the HyperX Cloud 2 Headset. For around $100 it has 7.1 channel surround sound, a removable mic, the ability to run through USB AND a 3.5mm jack, and much more. I have been using one for about a year now and I have loved it.

Hope this helps!

xC00L

provided your onboard audio or whatever device you connect it up to (external usb sound stick, onboard audio, soundcard, phone, whatever device ...) has at least a minimum amount of power you will be fine. the hd598 is easy to power (phones ok, most motherboards ok, etc) so unless you had something very poor you would be okay. now it does respond well to amp (like on a good soundcard or external amp) and will get a little more bassy and full sounding but its not required provided generally.

asus xonar dg is the low end card, xonar dx is the mid level one.
not sure what the creative low end one is but mid level is the z
asus uses dolby headphone, creative uses cmss3d (now called sbx). youtube comparision videos to see which you like.
not saying you need a soundcard, just that majority votes razer as being bottom of the 3 in terms of quality. you might like it though.. youtube a video.