Solved! Need help buying laptop for Computer Science

miguelvita13

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
Hello guys
In January I will start studying computer science. And both my future teacher and friend who graduated last year recommended me buying me a good laptop instead of a desktop pc since apparently i won't need the desktop. I have a budget of $1200 max (right now) or up to $1700 with the ones that have financing (Apple, Dell, etc.) So far I have seen the MacBook Pro, looks really cool, the Surface Pro, or more powerful ones like the Alienware 13, MSI, GIGABYTE laptops. It needs to have a good battery that will last me with no problems on the days I have classes. I am just looking for a laptop that will last me for the 4 years of university with no problems or slowing down over time like my past Windows laptops. I have no idea what I need for the major and what they do in Computer Science So, please help! Thanks!

Solution

KirbysHammer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

Up to 1700 with financing? I'm confused. If you're a student can't you just take out student loans at a much lower interest rate?

KirbysHammer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Also, all laptops will slow down over time. You need to do maintenance on them just like you would anything else you want to last.

They may also feel slower as technology advances.

If you need the laptop to last 4 years with a healthy battery, you will need to replace the battery at some point, maybe even twice.

miguelvita13

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017

I went to an Apple store and they said that depending on what financing plan I get (8,12,24,etc) I dont have to pay interest if I don't go above it. And for $1000-1400 what would be my best choice out of all the brands and laptops and models like MackBooks, Surface Pro, Lenovo's, etc

KirbysHammer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016

I would suggest the Dell XPS 13 or 15, excellent build quality and great battery life, but still packs a punch.

Solution