Need help connecting my HD Set top box to my TV?

dejavu619

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
My set top box has only AV and HDMI output, but my TV does not have HDMI input. It only has component (YPbPr) input.

Currently I'm watching all my HD channels using composite cables and it's not fun. Is there any adapter I can use to convert HDMI to component?

Thanks in advance...

dejavu619

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
Ok I've found one here... http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=170567165910&HDMI-Male-to-5-RCA-RGB-Audio-Video-AV-Component-Cable

My question is, does the HDMI version matter?

Also, the item description says:

Note: Unidirectional HDMI in to 5 RCA out. This cable don't own the chip to convert digital signals to analog signals, so it only fits for the devices which itself can convert digital signals to analog signals, for example SET TOP BOX (STB)
If both input / output device do not support signal conversion, a signal conversion box is required. HDMI to RCA cable is designed to connect and transfer signals from HDMI port to RCA port. This cable functions as a signal transmitter, but NOT a signal converter. As HDMI carries digital signals while RCA carries analog signals. In order for these two formats of signal to communicate with each other, both input and output devices needs to support the signal conversion function (code and decode), please kindly check with your user manual.

So will my TV and set-top box support this cable?

Any other alternatives (which are not overpriced) are welcome...

Ijack

Distinguished
So will my TV and set-top box support this cable?
I would doubt it. You need to check whether your set-top box will output analog signals via the HDMI port. I suspect that with this sort of device you get what you pay for.

Does your TV actually support HD? As it doesn't have HDMI inputs it probably doesn't.

dejavu619

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
Yes, it does support HD but only via component cables... I know because my X360 is connected to it via component cables and so is a media player I have...

Why do you say that the cable in the link won't help?

Ijack

Distinguished
Why do you say that the cable in the link won't help?
Because it doesn't convert digital signals to analog. So unless your ser-top box does that for the HDMI output, it won't work. If you get a good display from an XBox360 using the component connectors, the question is why you don't get a similarly good display with your set-top box. That sounds like a limit of the box or something that you need to configure correctly.

This is just my opinion - with no knowledge whatsoever of what hardware you have. You are welcome to buy the cable and try it.

dejavu619

Estimable
Jul 29, 2014
What I'm using with the Xbox 360 are "component" connectors.

What I'm currently using with the set top box are "composite" connectors, not component connectors...

The reason I can't use component connectors with my Set-top Box is because it only has composite and HDMI output.
The reason I can't use HDMI is because my TV doesn't have HDMI input.

Ijack

Distinguished
It's possible that someone could give a more informed answer to your question if you told us the make and model of your set-top box and your TV. In the interim, I suggest that you read the manuals for each to see what configuration options there are.

TRENDING THREADS