Need help deciding on a not so fancy Android tablet.

IHazQuestion

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
So far I have two that I have been looking at, The Dell Venue 7 and the Nexus 7.
The Dell Venue 7 is looking like my best option at the moment and I was looking for some input before making the purchase.

Here is the Dell Venue 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834300172

Here is the Nexus 7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-230-573&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=4&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29#scrollFullInfo

Just looking at the specs I feel like the Dell Venue 7 is the obvious choice but I have never owned a tablet and I am no expert.

Is there any reason why this is incorrect? Or is there a different tablet that is even better than the two and $200 or less?

Solution
I have the 32gb 2013 nexus 7 running the newest android (kitkat). This is my first tablet so I can't compare it to the venue. I use it for games, reading, email, some web browsing, and watching tv in the bedroom via a directTV app.

I've only had it since christmas so I haven't got anywhere close to using all 32gig, Even so, I have the ES file explorer app installed so I can upload/download files to any computer on my network. I guess the only gripe I have is the camera. It's ok, but not the best, but then again, I didn't purchase it for it's camera.

I'm not sure if it helps you, but I think you'd do well with either.
I have the 32GB version of the 2012 Nexus 7 as opposed the to the 16GB version in your link. I have never touched the Dell Venue 7.

I find the Nexus 7 to be fine for my needs which is basically reading, playing simple games like Pinball Arcade, watching movies and surfing the net. It is fine for my needs at least for now. I will say that I don't really like surfing the net on my tablet (and my Android phone as well). I am simply used to using a desktop / laptop for that.

The main gripe is the lack of any expansion slot, so if you buy the 16GB version, then that's it. You cannot expand it at all. The second gripe is for all Android devices (including my phone) and that is Android loves to auto launch programs in the background even if you did not even use your tablet. For example, I killed all the apps running on my Nexus 7 except for essential ones like the app for the touchscreen, anti-virus, batter saver, and some essential system apps.

I put down the tablet and left it alone for around 2 or 3 hours, when I checked on it Android I saw in my task killer the following apps were running:

Google Play Store
Chrome Browser
Youtube
2 games that I installed
Calendar
My music player
Google+

While I like Android devices, I also an starting to get damn annoyed with it. My next tablet is most definitely going to a Windows 8 (or whatever version) tablet. I am also considering switching to a Windows phone as well, but that I am not 100% certain yet.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
I have the 32gb 2013 nexus 7 running the newest android (kitkat). This is my first tablet so I can't compare it to the venue. I use it for games, reading, email, some web browsing, and watching tv in the bedroom via a directTV app.

I've only had it since christmas so I haven't got anywhere close to using all 32gig, Even so, I have the ES file explorer app installed so I can upload/download files to any computer on my network. I guess the only gripe I have is the camera. It's ok, but not the best, but then again, I didn't purchase it for it's camera.

I'm not sure if it helps you, but I think you'd do well with either.

Solution