Need Help Expanding from 2.1 to 5.1

taytck30692

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I'm looking to expand from a 2.1 system, consisting of a pair of Polk Audio RTi4 and a PSW10, to a 5.1 system. I plan to move the RTi4 to the rear speakers, so I'm looking for a center and front speakers to pair with them.

Anyone have suggestions on what would be good speakers and a center to go with what I have? I have limited space, so I'm thinking of using bookshelf speakers like the Monitor 40s as my front speakers. Would that work?

Thanks for all of your help guys, I really appreciate it.

taytck30692

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Can anyone help me out here? I'm mainly trying to decide if the Polk CS1 would get overwhelmed here. I'm on a semi-tight budget, but I'd spring for the CS2 if it seems necessary.

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i would say to go overboard for your front main and center as you get majority of your information through these . and you may find that music in 3 channel logic or 5.1 is enjoyable too . also if you buy some towers for your front mains you will not have to get stands . all things considered save up and get something bigger than the rti4, i am sure they would be adequate but maybe you want more than just adequate .

taytck30692

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Will do. I'm looking at RTi6's for fronts and a RTi A4 for my center at the very least. Didn't realize how important the center was until I started looking around. Thanks for all of your help, guys. Appreciate it.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
^Over 50% of a movie's audio track goes through your center channel a lot of times...once I upgrade my TV in my basement, im going to use a tower as my center :).

A center channel can make all the difference, pretty much all dialogue goes through it, and dialogue is the most important part of a movie...it needs to be loud, clear, understandable and lifelike.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
the closer you sit to the front three speakers.. the more they need to sound the same.
as in timbre matched.
cant have one bright in the middle and two warm on each side.
doesnt matter how much distance alignment you put on it.. you can still hear it, although much better with the time alignment.

personally..
i simply cannot stand listening to 90% of the movie from the front middle speaker.
i feel stupid with four other speakers surrounding me and doing absolutely nothing.

at the computer..
the center channel is about 2ft away.
the front left/right speakers are about 6ft away.
the timing alignment can make 'em all sound pretty much the same as far as loudness and which one i hear first.

i think the front three speakers should be triangulating the center.
throw out some reverb and the rear speakers could help, as long as the rear center speaker isnt heard at ear level without any reflections)

**edit**

it is all about screen depth.. and you simply cannot get the same screen depth from a single center speaker when compared to the front left/right.
screen depth returns stage depth.

fr8mvr

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Towers are not a good idea for a center channel. Better to have a dedicated center, two fronts And two rears that are timber matched to the fronts. The two most important parts of a HT audio system are the center and the sub.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

Please explain why a tower is not a good idea for a center channel?

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
timbre matched is good.
but
soundwave/reflection matched based on height is what you are talking about.

you can ruin the soundwave/reflection directivity if your center speaker has speakers from basically the floor all the way up.
but
this holds true for a single 5.25 inch speaker (or any size above for a single speaker)

the room will bloom and swell with soundwaves and soundpressure.
if you block one of those reflections (or add some more soundwaves in the perfect spot) the whole garden can collapse.
maybe it is only the front soundstage.. but be glad it isnt the entire soundstage.

sometimes people have the front speakers on the floor and the center up on top of the television.
this creates a certain soundstage.

sometimes people have the front speakers on towers or up on the wall and the center is the same height.
this creates a certain soundstage.

when your reverb/soundwaves/soundpressure isnt calibrated.. using a tower or a bookshelf speaker for the center channel is really not a technical issue.
it would thus be a personal choice based on taste or opinion.

sometimes people point their reverb to a spot on the wall.
sometimes they point the soundwaves to another speaker cone.
and sometimes they point the reverb to a ball in the middle of the room to lift it up off the ground.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

if you sit back far enough.. you can use a center speaker for 'fill'
screen depth is only as good as the width of the screen?

NO

screen depth (and width) is only as good as the person listening.
i have used my 5.1 receiver without a center channel for almost a decade without much complaint.
i watch with a wide open head.

my receiver has an option to change the immersive feeling of screen depth.. but i dont use it.

when i am sitting 2ft from the computer monitor watching a movie.. the vocals dont appear to be coming from the actor or actresses mouth.
maybe that is what you want.
i dont need it.
the whole room swells up with audio.. and the vocals are in front of me like they are supposed to be.
they sweep from left to right or right to left.

i did go grab a center channel out of one of my pc computer speaker kits.
i hooked it up and was upset to hear ALL of the television show coming out of the center channel.
it made me mad.
so i went into my receiver's functions and switched 'prologic II movie' to 'prologic II music'
now the center channel fills the spacious void between the left and right speaker.
my soundstage is from the left corner of the room to the right corner of the room.

should i be laughing at anybody?
it is lonely over here in solitude.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Mhm, well,

I've got my fronts, sides, and rears setup, and for the center channel, I already tried, I'll be using a short tower (But still 3-way, tweeter, midrange, and 12'' woofer), as my center. I tried connecting it and it sounded absolutely fine...dialogue was good and overall it acted as a fine center. It will be a huge benefit, because when I play music, the center will also be adding some good bass to the scene.

Maybe, if you put a tower on its side, it will be weird, but I have a short and wide tower that will be able to stand upright if I get a high-enough stand for the TV, infact I'll probably hang the TV on the wall anyway, and I'll do it high.

Thanks for the info though :)

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

i believe in that.
and you are right about the tower speaker on its side sounding weird.
if you are far back far enough it doesnt always matter.
when it does matter is when the soundwaves/soundpressure exists in such a way that you can clearly hear all of the bass from the left and all of the treble from the right from the center channel.

when that happens..
i would simply suggest building a new box that looks like a square and instead of making the box tall or wide.. make it deep.
YES.. your speakers might perform different if you remove the wall from behind the speaker.
some woofers (midrange or woofer or subwoofer)
sometimes they sound much better when there is a cabinet wall about 1, 2, 3 inches away from the magnet.
but
if you are building the box.. you can always put a wall behind the speaker and leave some room for the air to go around it.
it lets you keep the air cushion nice and tight.. but you also get to keep the tune of the big box.
the best of both worlds.

and then when you are done..
your center channel will have all of its audio coming from one small space.
no more bass from the left and treble from 4ft to the right (and the midrange in the voided space between the two).

anyways..
if you dont care to read this blackhawk1928.. it IS there for somebody else that could use it.

since fr8mvr disagrees.. i suppose that person will be the last to care about or use the post.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
what the hell?

speakers are made to output audio.
a tower will do that.
if the excursion or phase is seriously different than the front two speakers.. then you could completely ruin your front soundstage.

that isnt because the speaker is a tower.. that is the speaker itself.

i already said the problem with a tower for the center speaker.
it is the physical attribute it has on the field of air, as well as where the soundwaves from the center speaker are being projected.

most people have absolutely no idea if the center channel is causing such a problem.
they need a computer simulation in 3D or some serious gas that can light up like neon to visually see what is going on.

if two soundwaves are supposed to collide into eachother.. that is sound field processing at the first level.
and if those two soundwaves miss eachother.. consequences happen.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

Thats not an explanation, show me a technical reason for it. The link you provided says its bad to lay tower speakers on the side, which I may or may not agree with, but I stated my tower will be standing upright.

fr8mvr

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
^^ A tower speaker is a type of speaker array in a box. I am not disagreeing with most of what your saying just the part about using a tower. Can it be done-yes with a 2 more matching towers in as fronts. The tower would have to be in an upright position blocking the picture unless you were using a projector.
Just because you don't use a center channel doesn't make it right. Hell use any speakers you want. makes no difference to me.

I would suggest that maybe the right place to find information about speakers, proper set up and such might be an Audio specific forum and not the computer geek forum.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
sometimes speakers do have different dispersion patterns.
but
not all of the center channel speakers have the extra wide dispersion pattern.
you really should never care much if it does or doesnt.. unless your living room is seriously wide and you want to let the people on the very far sides to hear from the center channel just as loud as the people right in front of it.

reverb can do this too.
just put a ^ shape on the wall that the center channel is facing.. then calibrate the reverb to use those angles on the shape.
that gets you audio to the people directly in front of the center speaker.
then..
those angles point the audio to the far chairs in the room.

so it doesnt matter if the dispersion pattern is extra wide or normal.
how do you know if the dispersion pattern is wide or narrow?
you put the speaker directly in front of you and walk sideways.
as you move in a circle around the speaker.. you will hear the volume gets lower the more sideways you get.
some speakers have lower volume at the very far edge.. and some are more like halfway.

sometimes speakers have an area of extra loud at the very center of the speaker.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008

If a regular center channel doesn't match your front speakers, why does using a tower-center channel have to match your fronts.