Question Need help identifying problem with sony lcd tv

Aug 29, 2021
I have an old Sony kdl-40z4100 that has a black screen problem. It still has the backlight, and when I try to change input or volume, a broken image (like static) pops up on the screen. Sometimes, the main menu will appear for a minute or two after I turn it on, but then the picture fails.
I thought this could be a mainboard problem, so I tried the 'baking' method to see if anything improved. It didn't work and now I have no clue where the issue is coming from. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021
I have an old Sony kdl-40z4100 that has a black screen problem. It still has the backlight, and when I try to change input or volume, a broken image (like static) pops up on the screen. Sometimes, the main menu will appear for a minute or two after I turn it on, but then the picture fails.
I thought this could be a mainboard problem, so I tried the 'baking' method to see if anything improved. It didn't work and now I have no clue where the issue is coming from. Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm not an expert, but you should probably focus on the T-Con (Timing Control) board. I have a similar issue with my TV, but its a good sign that you at least have the main menu showing up. A failing T-Con board usually causes the symptoms you listed, as it relays the picture to the main board, then the LCD (or vice versa). This video will show you the basics of how to remove, then swap it out once you order a replacement using the exact board model number on your unit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh-I8xXmLu4