need help with surround sound on my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_114

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Hi i have a brand new GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 gigabyte mobo and im trying to connect my reciever 7.1 SONY MU-TE-KI (it has every input u can imagine) so i can play battlefield 4 with full surround sound. Now my User Manual for my mobo says the HDMI out from my mobo supports sounds but nothing detects when i plug into my reciever, ive tried a few different HDMI cables and ports on reciever. Which makes me very sad as i thought this would just work now im exploring other options i can connect via headphone jack into rca splitter but thats not surround sound, My mobo also has the multi coloured jacks is it called HDS ? but my reciever doesnt have this input im now stumped any help would be greatly appreciated so i can get some 7.1 gaming in

is my only option to spend 260$ NZD on a sound card with SPDIF output ?

Solution
does your pc have a graphics card that you use? if so, you should be using the output from that not your motherboard hdmi. the only time you would use your motherboard hdmi is if you have onboard graphics (no graphics card).

simple pc->receiver->tv generally provided the receiver has hdmi passthrough and you're not using a 120hz monitor. otherwise, you would use two hdmi connections, one to receiver and one to tv/monitor.

default audio device when you right click speaker icon playback devices. make sure receiver or hdmi (depending on what you see) is set and also set for 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the system you have.
Have you taken a careful look at the Playback device settings via the little speaker icon? The icon should be in the lower right screen area.

Right click the icon and then select Playback devices.

You can then right click a device and see (plus test) the various settings that are available.

Especially "green-checked" devices where you can see (again via a right click) additional configuration choices and options.

First scout around the playback devices to see what you can find. Then make changes as warranted but only one change at a time. Or at least keep track of what you change and where you change it.

Ryan_114

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

does your pc have a graphics card that you use? if so, you should be using the output from that not your motherboard hdmi. the only time you would use your motherboard hdmi is if you have onboard graphics (no graphics card).

simple pc->receiver->tv generally provided the receiver has hdmi passthrough and you're not using a 120hz monitor. otherwise, you would use two hdmi connections, one to receiver and one to tv/monitor.

default audio device when you right click speaker icon playback devices. make sure receiver or hdmi (depending on what you see) is set and also set for 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the system you have.

Solution

Ryan_114

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016

Thank you I feel like an idiot this worked I was trying the port on my mobo not the gfx card

Status
Not open for further replies.