Need help with [what] I believe is a virus

Bigmikeyb92

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
So I believe I have a virus or malware. When I try to open task manager or try to install an antivirus it says process is in use has anyone had this problem or how can I fix and lately there's been some performance issues.

[OS = Windows 10]

Solution
Honestly not sure, since new Windows install on SSD doesn't take a lot of time, feel free to wipe your SSD but keep your games. See if it works without any issues then. If the problem persists, wipe everything you can even DBAN it and use it safely.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Not fun. Especially, when they mess around with your system and installation files. Did you try any removal options so far? If so what did you try?

Since I am not too certain about a particular approach to the situation, I can give you general means that usually help you deal with the situation. Since there probably are multiple processes messing with Windows at perhaps a system level I think the following should deal with it:

GENERAL MALWARE
Since you tried plenty of conventional methods, I would recommend a full, thorough solution to the problem. Below you will find the list of a potentially strong solution.

1. Restart your PC in “Safe mode with networking”
2. Install and run RKill to kill malicious processes and services
3. Check your Programs and features and see if there are any new recently installed programs that you don’t recognize. If there are, remove them.
4. Check your task manager for any suspicious processes, if found, identify folders and try to remove them manually. Or just "Win key + R" and type %appdata%. Afterward, delete potentially malicious folders.
5. Do a full scan with anti-virus software of your choice or use Windows Defender to clean up initial infections.
6. Scan your PC with Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, and AdwCleaner. Multiple anti-malware solutions will confirm that the threat was removed.
7. Clean up your Registry and Cached files with CCleaner (Can be dangerous based on your system, I would either ignore this or proceed with caution)
8. Restart your PC in normal mode and do an additional scan to confirm that the malware is gone.

See if you have an ability to install and work freely, let me know how it goes, I'll try helping further to solve the issue.

Bigmikeyb92

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Anytime I try install or run antivirus or rhkill an error comes up saying process is in use and task manager even in safe mode opens and closes instantly tried an antivirus boot and did a scan and a repair and still the same I think I might just have to do a clean install. I have an ssd with os and hdd with games should I wipe both or will games still work on hdd just reinstalling os on ssd

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Honestly not sure, since new Windows install on SSD doesn't take a lot of time, feel free to wipe your SSD but keep your games. See if it works without any issues then. If the problem persists, wipe everything you can even DBAN it and use it safely.

Solution

mdd1963

Distinguished
On an uninfected computer, you can create a WIndows Defender Offline startup CD/USB, and boot from it, and scan your drive...

You might also try creating/booting from a Kaspersky Resuce CD

From within WIndows, I'd research/try HitMan Pro/Breach mode....

Bigmikeyb92

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Thx for all the help guys I tried everything you guys recommended and no luck luckily I just wiped the ssd and reinstalled the os on it and I was able to keep and able to run and play all my games on the hdd even my steam library which I was dreading having to reinstall

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
What I like to do is make an image of my OS drive using Acronis True Image Home about once a month, keeping the last 2 -3 images. That way, in the event I get a virus/malware I restore from the image. Only takes about 15 minutes or so and that way I don't have to re-install all of my programs/applications.

mdd1963

Distinguished
If you have a Western Digital Drive, you can use Acronis True Image as you envision for free...

If you don't have the application, then Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper, or Eases Todo Backup are all equally easy to use, GUI-wise...

Clonezilla is not pretty (being simple 3 color text /tab based) , takes some practice, but is free, and has never let me down either, inlcluding making images of mutiboot Windows/assorted Linux scenarios...