Need Information: Modding PC Gaming Headset to standard 3.5 mm jack

drago10029

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hey people, so what I want to do is modify my PC Headset and change the connections so that the audio & mic 3.5 mm jacks will only have one single 3.5 mm male connector that effectively allows mic and audio. Basically what you would get from most headphones with mics these days.

So this is where I need help:

1. Where do I get a high quality 3.5 mm jack (local or online) for cheap of course, would radioshack work?
2. is the 3.5 mm jack called a TRRS type (i don't know the lingo), what are the other types of jack available?
3. I read you have to burn some protective coating off the insulated headphone wire before soldering onto the new 3.5 mm connector.
3A. Is this true?
3B. How would I know if my headset has the protective coating?
3C. Can someone confirm if using a lighter would burn of the protective coating if need be?
4. I have a soldering iron and "60/40 rosin core solder" i bought from staples to fix a phone previous, would it work for soldering headphone connection to a 3.5 mm wire?
5. Do I need flux for the job (I am unsure because I never used flux but understand it makes soldering better lol)?
6. I know the microphone portion is what is damaged, is the anyway to test which end is damaged?
7. Anything else I should know?

I fixed laptops & PC stuff but am both intrigued and unfamiliar with the headphone world. I'm doing this to save money since that was my gaming headset for my PS4, previously I used a adapter to join them together but I really want a reason to tinker and want to learn more about headphones/modding them/etc.

Thank you all for the knowledge, links, donations and helpfulness lol (give me money if you'd like)

Solution
Yes, I believe the below link is the same thing. That will work well.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SJ5-43502PM/CP5-43502PM-ND/1956558

What you need for further reference is a 4 conductor 3.5mm audio barell jack. Below is a complete list from digikey of parts that match your request. The one I gave a link to is probably your best bet for a hobby connector, but the SMD connectors are good if you were to put it on a PCB.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40016%2Cfff80517%2C740002%2C4400043%2C8f80004&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=-1000009&page=1&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

To connect this. There are 4 leads. The four leads respond to the datasheet attached to the product page...

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Okay, I'm just going to throw out there...

Almost every laptop supports single-jack audio up and down. Pretty much ZERO desktop motherboards do. Which means this mod would mean you couldn't use your headset on your desktop without a splitter, which would affect audio.

Also, it's likely that this mod would decrease the headphone's audio quality somewhere from a little bit to a lot - so bear that in mind if these are pricey headphones.

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
1. Digikey or mouser
2. No idea sorry,
3. very true! All headphones have protective coating. You should strip it using wire strippers, not heat unless it is some weird material.
4. It will work
5. Flux always helps but may not be necessary depending how good your solder/iron is
6. Try to use one ore the other? lol
7. It will look ugly. I promise. You can try all you might, but this is a botch job. If it was not broken I would just say get an adapter that combines the two 3.5 mm jacks.

Good luck

drago10029

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

I'm not planning on using it it on a PC. It's going into my PS4 and yes I am dead set on modding these! lol. Also they were cheap but I like to learn about electronics in this manner. So they will be modded.

drago10029

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

thanks for all your help and the site glitched and chose your answer as best, I'm going to make a new thread so people don't think this is solved since it isn't.

as far as number 6. goes, I meant the microphone wiring somewhere is damaged but I don't know which end of the wiring is messed up. and it's for gaming so I'm not too worried about ugly. and I had a adapter that still work but I would rather combine the too for a cleaner look, and I will get a cleaner look! trust me ;)

and anyone wanna take a crack at number 2?? probably most important and also, I do I unsolved this to avoid deleting it actually???

drago10029

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks and so I found out from what you saind it's called specifically a TRRS Jack Panel Mount:

Also decided since I'm going to be soldering both wiring it would be best if I just mod the wiring at the root. If I you the item I posted in that link I can basically mount that connector into my headset and give it an even better mod. Then I could use any trrs compatible cable I want. way better right?

But I just need ideas? anything I'm not considering?

p.s. I'll check again tomorrow morning, it's 3:42 EST so I gotta go night night lol

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Yes, I believe the below link is the same thing. That will work well.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SJ5-43502PM/CP5-43502PM-ND/1956558

What you need for further reference is a 4 conductor 3.5mm audio barell jack. Below is a complete list from digikey of parts that match your request. The one I gave a link to is probably your best bet for a hobby connector, but the SMD connectors are good if you were to put it on a PCB.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40016%2Cfff80517%2C740002%2C4400043%2C8f80004&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=-1000009&page=1&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

To connect this. There are 4 leads. The four leads respond to the datasheet attached to the product page in the first link I provided.
1: Left Audio
2: Right Audio
3: Ground
4: Microphone

Solution

drago10029

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

nice, I checked the data sheet and I'm pretty confident going into this now. So I just have to solder the wires and (assuming I didn't burn the house down) just connect a TRRS 3.5 cable and should work? anything I need to worry about with audio quality?

Very noobish to this and it all just sounds too easy lol!

drago10029

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

oh and what's a barrel roller used for? I've noticed them in very cheap USB adapter I bought