umbrace

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015
Ok, so I have two questions,
1. Is the website XOTIC PC reliable? Am I wasting my time?

2. If the website is good, I need advice on deciding specs for my custom Sanger.

What I'm thinking right now:
-Intel i7-4910MQ Quad Core (2.9GHz OC to 3.9 GHz)
-Geforce GTX 980 w/ 8 GB of Vram (or should I get the GeForce GTX 970 6 gigs of ram, MUCH better price)
-16 gigs of ram
-1tb 7200rpm HDD and SSD 500gb(2)
-1920x1080 15.6" display (if I get the GeForce gtx 980, I'm going to get 4k screen)

Laptop: Sager NP8268-S (Clevo P150SM-A)

Price at the moment: $2800

I am not really on a gaming budget, but I'm not one of those people that just through out money for the heck of it. So lets say the max is $3000.
Remember that I'm shopping for a laptop that will run 4k on demanding games, and that's why it has such high specs.
I am open to any other good laptop deals with similar specs, I would love to see what other laptops there are.

Solution
No laptop will run 4k, period. The 980 in that laptop is the mobile version and doesn't have nearly the horsepower of it's desktop counterpart.

The best hope you have of a achieving 4k with a laptop is buying an alienware with an external desktop graphics card adapter. This of course will be very expensive.

Any laptop with the parts you want aren't going to come cheap and you are going to pay an arm and a leg. Considering the specs of the one you have above, $2800 is a fine price.

As a note, you don't need an i7 for gaming. You can drop that out and reduce the SSD to 256 GB. Both will make it cheaper without slowing the system down.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
No laptop will run 4k, period. The 980 in that laptop is the mobile version and doesn't have nearly the horsepower of it's desktop counterpart.

The best hope you have of a achieving 4k with a laptop is buying an alienware with an external desktop graphics card adapter. This of course will be very expensive.

Any laptop with the parts you want aren't going to come cheap and you are going to pay an arm and a leg. Considering the specs of the one you have above, $2800 is a fine price.

As a note, you don't need an i7 for gaming. You can drop that out and reduce the SSD to 256 GB. Both will make it cheaper without slowing the system down.

Solution

umbrace

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015

Thanks for the advice,
So I'm going to scratch 4k off my list.
And if I were to switch the i7 for an i5, what processor would you recommend?
I'll also probably take your advice and take off one of the SSD's and change the other one to 256 GB.
Thanks for the response, it is greatly appreciated. :)
If I do all your suggestions, I will have saved around 500 bucks, depending on what i5 you recommend.

The current system should be able to do what you want. The cpu is a bit of an overkill as the i7 4700mq can play the majority of games without affecting the performance. Depending on if you play gpu or cpu intensive game you could drop the i7 to an i5.

umbrace

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015

Thank you for replying.
I was looking online for info on the i5 and I saw that it was only dual core. (the GHz was good and the reviews on it were really good.)
Is there an i5 you recommend for gaming that is quad.
Lots of the new games need quad cores to run.
Thanks

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
According to the intel website

http://ark.intel.com/

i5 nor i7 processors are 4 core, only 2. You have to buy AMD if you want more than 2 cores. The problem with that is that AMD has poor Single threaded performance, which means that if the developers of a game forget to optimize a game, it's not going to run well.

EDIT * I fell like my post was a bit misleading. Of course, Intel does have 4 core mobile processors but they charge allot for them over the 2 core. This is a result of the lack of competition from AMD in the mobile space. If you want to stick with Intel, the best choice would be Core i7-4700HQ. Even still, intel charges $378 to the OEM for it (OEM charges a markup). That's the cheapest 4 core processor they sell too.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75116/Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

If you can afford it, might as well get it. Otherwise a high frequency 2 core processor that's not too expensive might be the best choice.

umbrace

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015

Thanks for all the effort and work your going through to help me, it is really appreciated :)

And yes, I can afford that CPU, much cheaper then the i7-4910MQ I first had. I think it will be better because the MQ just has more power then you really need, and its 200 more then the 4700HQ.

Thanks for all the help.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015

There is no i5 quad core, only 2 core with HT, only quad core for laptop is i7 and not all of them, the processor u choose is a 4 cores,8 threads, so it is a quad core with 4 more virtual cores, so 8 core procesor, go for it, or the 4700hq, still 4cores/8threads, but be carefull the i7 4210u or anything that has U at the end are dual cores, 2 cores/4threads just like an i3.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

We are well aware of that or else I would have linked an i5 instead of the i7 that I did. It's only the i7 extreme editions that have 4 cores.