Need laptop for girlfriend

cfortney

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016
Hey y'all,
My girlfriend is getting her tax return and she wants to get herself a laptop, as she currently only has an iphone and some shitty old desktop PC. It's 2016 and I told her she should be able to find a decent one for less than $400. She's only going to use it for streaming netflix, browsing the internet, etc. But the hardware geek in me still wants to get her the maximum price/performance available.

I'm really impressed with this refurbished unit for $310...pretty damn solid for an i5, 8gb ram and a 120gb SSD. However, it looks like it came out in 2010 and I'd honestly feel more comfortable getting her something brand new. Any thoughts?

(edit)
now looking at a refurbished lenovo thinkpad 520 for $350
has a sandy bridge i7, 8gb ram, 160gb SSD, 1600x900 display, 2 year warranty

cfortney

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

In what ways is that better? I'm not all that familiar with mobile CPUs, I'm assuming the 5200U is skylake, and the m540 is 1st-gen i5? Is the trade off in performance on the processor so big of a deal to sacrifice 4 GB ram, an SSD and a lower resolution display?

ak47jar3d

Estimable

You will get a new laptop, better graphics, and a very power efficient cpu. The ram and storage is upgrade-able.

cfortney

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

I found another older Thinkpad on NewEgg for $350
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5WM3S33704

I forgot to mention she wants a webcam as well. But anyway, I'm not seeing the difference in a new vs. old laptop? The gap between a sandy bridge i7 and skylake/broadwell can't be that much of a difference to the average user, can it? The graphics don't matter - like I said, netflix will be the most graphically demanding app she uses.

The refurbished ThinkPad T520 you linked to is out of stock. Since it is a discontinued laptop, it would be difficult to say when they will get "new" stock.

While, it has a quad core i7-2760QM CPU, your GF will not need it especially if Netflix is going to be one of the more intensive things she will be using the laptop for. A dual core CPU will be fine for her needs.

Most modern laptops not have a screen with a resolution of 1600x900 with the exception of 17" laptops to the best of my knowledge. But there are some 14" business laptops that still use that resolution.

If you want a relatively new laptop with a 1080p screen, then consider the following ASUS F555LA-AB31 for $375. However, it only has a Core i3-5010u CPU (Broadwell), but that is fine for most people for daily usage. However, the LCD screen is one of the more expensive component in most non-gaming laptops so for $375 do not expect the 1080p to be excellent, but it should be adequate. You should read the user comments.

http://www.amazon.com/F555LA-AB31-15-6-inch-Full-HD-Laptop-Windows/dp/B011KFQASE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454950864&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+laptop+core+i3+1080p

cfortney

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

Thanks for the tip on that ASUS laptop, looks like a good deal for what it is. I was pretty bummed that the ThinkPad 520 sold out right after I posted about it. She's not going to make the purchase for another week, so I'm going to keep my eyes glued to eBay/newegg refurbs for something between 2012-2014 that was a nice ultrabook but has since been marked down a lot. I still use a 2010 Macbook Pro as my laptop, and I've never even noticed a difference at 1600x900 vs 1080p anyway, and I doubt she would either. Otherwise, it looks like that ASUS one you linked is the way to go.