Need new headphones (>PMX-200)

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hey Tom's Hardware,

I am once again in the market for new headphones. I am very happy with my current Sennheiser PMX-200 headphones which I bought more than a year ago. That said, I am wondering if I can get anything better than these at the moment. As much as my preference may be for behind-the-neck style headphones, I am willing to buy anything. I am often traveling to and from work and college and I love my music. I could not be more satisfied with the PC-350 headset that is connected to my computer but they are the furthest thing from portable. What could I get, from any brand, any style, that would out-perform my PMX-200 for less than $200?

Thanks,
-Klosteral

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I would be pretty happy with that, but at $175AUD + shipping that better be what it claims to be, with a frequency response of 10hz-31000hz. Wireless would be a new feature and may add to the weight of the headset. Is there anything wired?
Thanks!

It depends on what you listen to. I listen to mainly Baroque and jazz. I spent a month listening to different headphones, a few days with each, and settled on the AKG K701. They are open-back, which means that you want to use them in a quiet environment. And they are definitely meant for sitting down, not working out or walking around. It depends very much on what you want them for.

If you like more intense music, like rock, orchestral, or especially organ works, the Sennheiser 650s are great. However, they are over $400. And for me, they don't have the delicate tracing that's necessary for my favorite music. I only use them for organ works, where they do an outstanding job with the pedals but still manage to reproduce the highest pipes well.

On the budget end, the Sennheiser 497s are long in the tooth but surprisingly clear and able to present just about anything.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I am after something relatively portable, but not overly so. I would like to be able to walk down the street with them with relative ease, though I do not want them to be tiny travel 'phones. Also, I often find myself in noisy environments - on a bus, in a car, etc - where my open PMX-200 leaves me unsatisfied.

After more research, I have come up with a list:
Denon DNHP500 $139
AKG K81 DJ $109
AKG K450 $149
AKG 518 DJ $149
Sennheiser HD215 $139
Sennheiser HD280 $169
Sennheiser CX-Series ~$70

Opinions?