Need some advice on a projector!

haribo

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hey all, back again for some pro advice off you lot!

So i have decided to invest in a projector, i saw this deal online for one and wanted you guys to check it out and tell me you opinion? (It seemed cheap since its on sale so therefore it intrigued me)
My main use for the projector will be watching HD/Blu-Ray films and maybe a bit of gaming via hdmi on my xbox 360.

The link below will take you to the website, the advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

http://www.officestore24.co.uk/category-48/XP500.html

Something's fishy about that. That price seems WAY too good for a full 1080p projector. I would definitely check out the fine print of the return policy before making a purchase.

The specs state it supports a 1080p image but the native is 800x600??? Also, is your blu-ray player part of a PC/Laptop or a stand-alone model? Looks like the projector can only accept a VGA connection from a PC/Laptop and would not be able to play blu-ray from a computer.

My gut says pass on this.

-Wolf sends

BTW, I previously owned a BenQ MP610 and currently own an Optoma HD20.

haribo

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hey, thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated!

My blu-ray player is a part of my pc so therefore would be playing it through that.

Yeah, i also thought the price seemed go to be true, but on a few of their products they have comments on them and also they come with a warrenty etc.

Is it possible anyone could check the website and verify how long its been trading or somthing like that?

Just want to see if its worth purchasing, but also as you mentioned about the native resolution im not sure wether to, i was replacing the projecter with my tv.

If the projector does not accept an HDMI signal from your PC, there's no point in making the purchase. You can't watch Blu-Ray over a VGA connection. To view Blu-Ray movies, all components must be HDCP compliant and VGA connections are not. That was the main reason I upgraded.

Things that just scream, "NO" to me:

1) Office Store 24 - Their home page says January Sale now on... It's February 5th.
2) Under the brand information for your projector, it states:
MediaTech - A branch of the famous X-Par Group, MediaTech emerged as one of the worlds leading professional LED projector manufactures who's quality and experience leaves a clear mark stamped on the picture
If they're so "Famous", why are they not on the first page of a Google search?
3) Eventually, I did find the X-Par "Group" as X-Par Mediatech Co., Ltd.. A search on their web site for "XP500" came back with 0 results.
4) Searching through their pages of LED projectors, I found only one instance of "500" and that referred to 1"500" Lumens.
5) Of the LED projectors that match the physical appearance of the projector you linked I found these three:

Home Theater Projector LED Projector 3D from Manufacturer
LED Projector,Support 1280*768,USB+SD Projector
Home Theater LED Beamer Projector HD support 1024*768

None of which matched the specifications listed on your link.

Read up (what you can find) about this site and make your own decision, but if it were me, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10' HDMI cable.

-Wolf sends

G

I purchased the projector from them. They came up with the well-rehearsed excuses for the (2 month) delay. I've requested a refund and contacted trading standards.

debmen

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I purchased the projector from them. They came up with the well-rehearsed excuses for the (2 month) delay. I've requested a refund and contacted trading standards.

You say your purchased it - does that mean you have it? Or have you just paid for it and not got it yet? Has anybody successfully bought from this company yet? (Office Store 24)? They can't take card payment, want paid by cheque or bacs and there is a 10-14 day backlog on this projector. I said I'd pay when it's on its way and the 'manager' James said it doesn't work that way. Can anybody help before I part with my hard earned cash... Is this company a scam?

Barry Mullarkey

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
hi there i am the same as you

i cant find this projector anywhere on the internet or you tube, i called them today and they cant take credit card-there servers are down or switching providers or something but i can send them a cheque or bacs payment.

I said no i will not pay except by credit card as it offers better legal protection. and yes they said there was a two week delay on the xp500.

i am unsure if they are real- i have been done twice this year on fake companies-i think your better going to a real shop.

Barry

debmen

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
This is definitely a scam then if you called them on the 19th and they are still saying the same thing they told me nearly 3 weeks ago. Has anybody reported them yet? They should have had their merchant services sorted by now - so that, coupled with the dodgy addresses and the fact we can't find the machine anywhere else, makes me wonder how much money they have made from this...

EastLondoner

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
I was going to purchase a projector at an unbelievable low price, but came across these reviews and I am glad I did not.

I guess the wise old saying applies here...'if it's too good to be true, than it's not true'

I looked on google maps (street view) at the address given and it's a Mailbox rental company !!.... I guess that says it all.

Thank you everyone, you saved me £160's

magnum67

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

magnum67

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
This company officestore24.co.uk Suite 74. 33 Great George Street, Leeds. West Yorkshire. LS1 3AJ /0800 625 0187/quite a number of people have ordered the same projector mediatech xp5oo since january but up to now have not received them they bluff you along when you enquire saying they be in next week it is a big scam. give them a wide berth. Danger! Check out scamdex website.
Try http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Projector-Bundle-Deal-All-One-Package-Deal-Gamers-and-Home-Cinema-User-/181124659843(projector-shop) sale. delivered in one to two days (pay through (PayPal) 19/04/2013.

sean123

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
DO NOT PART WITH YOUR MONEY!!!! I have been strung along for nearly 2 months. I have done a little bit of research and some people mentioned bankrupsy and so are getting as much money as they can. When i asked 'Geoff' about this he spluttered a delayed 'no' down the phone. They have nearly £300 of my money which i paid on the 12th march and im not expecting to see it ever again. I have reported them to the bbc programme 'rip off britain' but whether anything will come of it i dont know.
I ordered the xp500 aswell but this deal IS to good to be true.

BeeLed

Honorable
May 1, 2013
hello all, i actually purchased this projector about 6 months ago when it was on sale with a screen and ceiling mount. i was also strung along for about 2-3 months till it actually came, like you i only use it for gaming and movies on my xbox and i found the quality on the games was definitely not 1080p, i ownt be using that site again i don't recommened it it's abit sketchy haha, hope this helps PEACEEE

Siobhan97

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Hi All, I also ordered a projector and screen from Office Store 24 back in February 2013. No goods received given same old stories delay with supplier. I have requested a refund quite a few weeks ago with no joy.

I have now reported this to Action Fraud. They pass this over to the National Fraud Investigation and City of London Police. I don't see why people should get away with things like this.

I will also report this to others.

beefeater

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Same story from me. Ordered projector in Jan 2013, it didn't arrive, they eventually agreed to refund after trying to sell me another product! Has anybody got a physical address! I see the parent company is still registered at Companies House as LMG Products,director Geoffrey Sydney Gale. I'd like to meet up with him.